Saturday 3 March 2018

Beastly




Mulch underlay or recycling . . . 





Ah, the sound of packing tape ripped from cardboard.  The essential trawl of local take-away options.  Mlle DoodleFace doing zoomies with a gigantic poster tube in her mouth while Mizzy BunnyButt climbs a Seuss-ian stack of clothes.  Mr BigNose sighs from a safe place on the couch.

Yes, it's done.  My worldly possessions, the critturs & family've been shifted to our new locale.

I desperately want to explore the garden.

Alas . . . moving coincided with the Beast from the East.  The new garden hides its secrets under snow, so your first tour will be to see how the travelling plant show survived.







1.  First order of business, feed the birds.



Dinner's ready!


In addition to the feeder, we've sprinkled raisins outside the dog area, & piked some fine apple halves.  Our water dish still hides in some unknown box.  Prayers've been offered for its resurrection.


2.  The Little House

On the day, the movers gave me untold grief about what they referred to as my Little House.  Any advice I offered on how to manhandle it  - something I'd done myself, I might add - they immediately disregarded.  Only an idiot would own such a stupid thing, & they certainly weren't listening to an idiot.



Ill treated composter.


It didn't surprise me to see how unceremoniously they dumped it in the new garden.


3.  A new dearly departed.

Not a pet this time.  For all the movers' dyspepsia with me, initial inspection of the potted forest reveals only one fatality - an Asian pear (in this photo, the horizontal stem).  The tall vertical sticks are bamboo cane to ward off bulb-eating fox.  The short stub of a twig near the label (about the same height as the daffs in the pot), that's what's left of the trunk.



Formerly known as an Asian pear.


This particular tree failed to thrive last year.  On calling the nursery for advice, it was determined that the tree, not myself, was at fault.  A free replacement arrived at my door in November.

Prior to the move, I'd thought the original still had life in it, but seeing how easily it snapped, perhaps a bit optimistic.


4.  Frozen Fatsia

On moving day, our last plant load happened close to midnight.  My thoughts were on duvets rather than dahlias, so it wasn't until the next morning I saw the spider fatsia.



This poor fella needs a fainting couch.


I've wrapped the pot in fleece & cover the plant itself at night.  Hopefully it'll perk up when the weather changes.


5.  Optimistic future.

For all the drawbacks to snow, it does give the garden a surreal, exotic feel.  The ordinary looks familiarly unfamiliar, maybe like we do in fancy dress.



Snow-improved lavender. 


The day before the move, I lifted a failing lavender & stuck it in a pot, rather than leave it behind to some unknown fate.  With the bare stems coated it snow, it suddenly looks like it has its whole future ahead of it.  Which I suppose is what even dying things have.  What else would be ahead except the future?


6.  Lovely in death (or dormancy).

And just look at dear creeping Jenny, herself tucked in for winter, worthy of a Victorian death portrait under her bonnet of snow.



Sleeping Jenny waiting to creep again.


So there it is, a week of delaying gratification.




Apple delights.

Next Saturday, the landlord comes to discuss the garden.  There's rumours of weed barrier & pea gravel, so I'll use the week to fortify my alternate plan.

Until then, there's a community of wonderful gardeners featured at The Propagator whose own Six on Saturday haven't a speck of snow on them.  Run over & find out why.

See you next week!


16 comments:

  1. Oh no your poor composter - hope you get it fixed!
    My Fatsia has wilted too - waiting to see if it will spring back to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The composter will live. The slats slide into place & just need a jiggle to get back to themselves. I've never seen a fatsia do this but then we've never had weather like this, so hopefully yours & mine will show their happy selves on the other side of this cold snap.

      Delete
  2. How annoying not being able to see your new garden. Maybe tomorrow? Onwards to see what you're up against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's starting to melt today, but still too much snow to see what little buds & boons are breaking through the ground. Except I do know there's crocosmia.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there's always crocosmia.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. With my dying breath & a trowel in my hand.

      Delete
  4. Too bad that we can't already have a glimpse of your garden but I realized that this is not the first thing to do when we move ... I hope everything is fine and don't be worried about the fatsia. I think it will recover from the ground even if the leaves fall ... Wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you think it'll survive. You tend to know these things. I don't want to tromp around on the snow too much, lest there be something underneath, but I am chomping at the bit to know if I have bulbs or buds or brambles.

      Delete
  5. I hope that composter is one of those where the "levels" are designed to be lifted off and put back at need. Pea gravel? Shingle sized lumps maybe but pea gravel will turn your garden into a communal cat toilet (unless you leave the dogs outside all night). It's actually called "pee gravel" you know!

    Still, you have craftily kept sufficient delights to make up your next six (as long as the snow melts).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The composter is exactly as you say, but it does look so undignified. I've not had cat problems w/pea gravel before. Perhaps I've lived in places w/a better standard of cat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely and interesting six. Hope the snow disappears soon so that you can get a proper look at the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is leaving us & I'm tiptoeing around. Nothing of interest as yet, though. Plenty of things I'm thinking of doing.

      Delete
  8. Impressive that you could handle a storm and a move and a post in one weekend! I couldn't have done that, for certain. Best wishes in your new abode, looking forward to garden pictures ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had plenty of help. Am already thinking of what my next six will be. So much new, so much to choose from!

    ReplyDelete