Saturday 24 August 2019

5 Hurrays & A Big BooHissBoo

Six on Saturday is a weekly get together of gardeners all over the world.  Be sure to drop by The Propagator for links & guidelines.






Not sure when it happened, but I've gone from wondering if my mid-winter gardening plans were madness, to seeing the results.

There'll be tweaking next year (who knew tithonia was such a brute?  What, everyone?  Really?)  Even so, most of the plants have done a mighty fine job.

But there's always that one.




1.  Sweet corn.

Last year was the first time I bought corn plants rather than start from seed.  About a third of the plants died early on, so there was a scramble to replace them, in order to maintain their block planting.  The replacements never caught up, & produced poorly.  Despite that & a drought year, we had some cracking cobs.  Nothing like fresh sweet corn.

Ever the optimist, I bought plants again this year, ordering a double batch just in case some died.  They arrived a month later than promised, which meant the companion pumpkin plants were well ahead of them.  I figured this could be managed w/trimming a pumpkin leaf here & there.

Within a week, all but 9 of 44 plants died.


I always hand pollinate corn just to give things a boost, so 9 stalks is better'n none.  We're now down to 6, but we've got tassles!


Unfortunately, none of the stalks have silk. There'll be no corn this year.  Next year, I'm going back to seed.


2.  Maters.

On a happier note, we've got maters - 6 different types courtesy of a seed kit given to me for Christmas.  I'm the only one here who eats them, but last year I fell so hard for the rosella cherry tomatoes, the non-mater-eating gift giver thought this would be a very good thing 6 times over.

We shall see.  These are Black Russians, which I've yet to taste.  They're a dark cherry tomato, so it's gonna be a while before I do.


In fact, the only ones ripe enough to eat are the rosellas, & they're just as good this year as last.


I've started pruning the new growth & flowers so we're not left w/a bunch of green tomatoes come the first frost.


3.  Pumpkins

The pumpkins've produced well, too, so they've been getting vines & flowers pruned.


Prompting one to make a break for it.


4.  Scottish flame flower.

After 5 years failing to propagate one of my own, I bought a tropaeolum speciosum this spring.  Once the heat came upon us, it looked poorly, so I moved its pot to the shady front garden.  It thrived so well, I decided to sink it.

So Flame Flower slides easily out of its pot, but before I can drop the empty pot & put my hand under its roots, a good third of the compost breaks off & takes an equal amount of root w/it.  I'd never seen anything like that in my life (which has been quite sheltered, I do admit).  I'd read they didn't like to be moved & now I know why. 

The corn-plant optimist in me figured w/2 thirds of its roots intact, I should still plant it.  It died completely back in a few days.  Optimism doesn't die as easily, so I left it where it was.


The phoenix rises.


5.  Saxifrage & orphan pot.

This saxifrage got left behind by a previous tenant, I don't know how many gardens ago.  I've never bought a hanging basket in my life, so this poor thing's been living here for all those long years.  It's been a good performer, knocking out a mass of pink flowers earlier in the year.  It used to cover all the soil but sadly, it's had enough of me taking it for granted.


Last year, one of my new pots didn't suit anything & so suffered the indignity of acting as a tray to carry small potted plants from A to B.


Now the 2 are happily brought together.


6.  Verbena hastata.

My name is Lora & I don't regret buying this plant.  Not one single bit.  But if there is blame, it's because Mr P featured his hastata several weeks ago.  In case I didn't take the bait, a few other SoSers've shown theirs as well.

These 3 photos are all of the same plant, but taken from different angles to show it w/flowers that provide a white complement, are in its own colour spectrum, or its opposite on the colour wheel.


Achillea Pearl, a few out of focus verbena bonareinsis, & some sedum buds (left background).


More bonareinsis, the same sedum, & a zinnia that promises hastata will look good w/the sedum when it blooms.


Achillea Pearl in the background, cousin bonareinsis, & calendula.  I adore this plant.






And that's me done talking.

Thanks so much for dropping by.  As always, I'd be tickled hastata pink to hear your comments.

See you next time!

14 comments:

  1. Verbena hastata is rather lovely. I want some more! Sorry to hear about your sweetcorn but your tomatoes are looking splendid. I think a remake of the Great Escape featuring a pumpkin, a vinca and a Morning Glory might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your movie cast of characters should include a cactus for comic relief.

      Delete
  2. You were right to prune your tomatoes to remove green ..They need these days of late summer heat to ripen or they will eventually ripen in your kitchen ... Very nice verbana hastata (I should sow it next year I think) and the combo with achillea and calendula is successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm from the US south, land of the fried green tomato but I don't cook, so it's prune prune prune, both the maters & pukkins end the year getting cut back. Definitely recommend hastata. I'm not overly visual & you can see, it's done well on its own, fitting in w/other plants. In the hands of someone w/a good eye for colour, it's undoubtedly a fantastic addition.

      Delete
    2. fried green tomato? That sounds tasty !
      Is it as easy as I think? Slice and fry? A recipe?

      Delete
    3. Very easy, if you can access cornmeal which is common in the US, but in the UK, you have to look for. The cornmeal here is ground to a finer texture as well, but I think the taste would be the same. Put a cup of cornmeal on one plate, a cup of flour on another. You can season the flour any way you like it from hot & spice to just salt & pepper, any type of herby or cheesey in between. Mix a coupla eggs w/a small bit of water (tablespoon?) & slice your green tomatoes. Press the slice into the flour first, both sides, then the egg mix, then the cornmeal. Fry in oil - not deep fry, just normal fry. There you have it. Quick & tasty, plus uses up your mater surplus.

      Delete
  3. Wait. Pruning pumpkins and tomatoes? Is that why mine are such dismal producers? Please help!how does one do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are vines, so when you have the amount of young fruit that you ultimately want, the idea is to stop the vine growing or putting energy into stems, more flowers and/or fruit. Tomatoes sprout at every stem junction, it seems, so I lop those off. I only let them grow to the top of their support, then lop off their heads. I even cut the leaf branches by 2/3 & of course, snip off new flowers. The same applies to pumpkins, but w/them, some folk bury the snipped off end into the ground, as that's supposed to encourage them to root. I've done that & not done that, w/o seeing much difference in the end result. Some folk advise letting a pumpkin only grow 2-3 fruit at most. I usually stop at 2, if I have them.

      Delete
  4. I will have to look out for a Verbena Hastata. Lovely looking maters be they will taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when you get it, don't forget to share w/us! As to the maters, I'm counting on it.

      Delete
  5. That verbena is next on my wish list. Lovely Six.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That v. Hastata comes nicely from cuttings too. Side shoots probably best. Well done on your tomatoes, I probably need to prune mine back a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I was thinking I could use a coupla more, so shall attempt some cuttings wizardry.

      Delete