Saturday 16 November 2019

More Chores

Six On Saturday is a weekly garden diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  Check out Mr Prop's comment section & the Twitter hashtag #SixOnSaturday for everybody's links.





Over the last few years, my ME symptoms tended to get worse as the days shortened.

This year, that's happening again, but to a lesser degree, which has me thrilled.

Thrilled to do chores?  You can bet your Aunt Lizzie's 3 legged hog on it.

Here's a few thrilling things that got done in the garden this week.





1.  Breakfast club.

I've spent half a century or more starting my day by feeding animals.  However, these morning silhouettes waiting on the neighbour's gable for me to give them brekky?  That's new.


When the sky's grey & wet, they look positively creepy.


2.  Wisteria.

The not-so-shady bed's been empty since the great plant rescue of Summer, 2019.  That's because the wisteria needed repotted, so better to keep the space in front of it empty than risk plants getting trampled.

Well, the new pot happened this week.


While the Possessors Of Brute Strength in my household willingly help outside, tasks involving live plants require the Great Triumvirate - Brute Strength's availability, good weather, & my energy level to be up.

In this instance, that didn't work out, so it took me 5 days to repot the wisteria on my own.  I don't regret a moment of it - just look how the turning foliage of the Japanese anemone loves that new pot.

Hopefully next week there'll be some plants in the not-so-shady bed to show you.


3.  Bulbs.

There's been planting in other parts of the garden though.  I started the week with 120 tulips bulbs & some leftover daffs that'd previously lived in the tree pots.


By the end of the week, there were 45 tulips left to plant, & that's because of the . . .


4.  Begonias.

They're wind & rain battered, but they simply won't stop blooming.  These were a free gift with an order a few years ago.  While most are o so gorgeous doubles . . .


. . . this single is pink on the back & yellow on the front.


Despite how much they delight me, they take up the planters where the 45 tulips need to live.  Next week, the begonias have to go.  Definitely.  Shoo!


5.  Hydropod clean up.

My first year using this, & 19 little plants have taken root, which is probably more than in my entire gardening career combined.  Of course, how many survive the winter is another question altogether.


But the hydropod's been cleaned & stored until next year's adventures.


6.  Bubblewrapping the shed.

This is my 2nd winter with this shed, but the first that I've used it for live plants - the hydropod success has taken over my indoor sills & ledges.  The wisteria pot came with tons of bubblewrap, so inevitably . . .


I found a YouTube video showing how to hang it like a curtain, rather than attaching it to the window - a real labour saver.  However, no one mentioned this should be done BEFORE the plants were inside.  You can see how big Choco Mint pellie has grown, so yes, it got interesting, especially with little plastic bowls of seeds drying everywhere.





And that's all from me this week.

There's a few dry days in our future, so hopefully the last of the last of the last'll get done by next Saturday.  (That means you, begonias.)

As always, thanks for stopping by.

See you next time!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the video showing how to use bamboo as a support for bubble wrap : it's very interesting. It gives me ideas (when a greenhouse will be empty as you say ...)
    Nice wisteria pot !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the video useful. The video folk use their bamboo to support other things during growing season, which I don't plan to do, so I used twine to hold the bubble wrap in place.

      Delete
  2. The wisteria looks fantastic and so worth the effort. Having decided to buy a hydropod last year I never got round to it but your successes have reminded me to add it back on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been useless getting cuttings to grow - even things like forsythia & buddleia that most folk can pop into the dirt - so 19 rootings is miraculous. The hydropod's expensive but I suspect will eventually pay for itself in propagation. It also is always going on sale, so keep an eye out for it!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I think I may try bubble wrapping the mini greenhouse.

      Delete
  3. Its getting jobs done time...and well done on cleaning your hydropod before putting it away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wisteria looks like it should be very happy in its new pot.
    I'm another one who's tempted to get a hydropod after hearing how well you got on with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased w/the hydropod result. Think next year, I'll start taking cuttings earlier, & more of them.

      Delete
  5. I need to clean my hydropod. I have shiny new foamdiscs, the old ones got pretty crusty after pretty much continuous use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd cleaned yours at some point which was why I assumed it needed cleaned when I was done. I also had tons of problems w/mildew, which isn't supposed to happen, so was constantly using a hydrogen peroxide spray on the cuttings. As a result, I figured the whole thing needed a good clean.

      Delete