Saturday 21 December 2019

Twas the Weekend Before Christmas . . .

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners from all over the world.  Check out Mr P's comment section & the Twitter hashtag #SixOnSaturday for more links.



Back gate too swollen to latch.




Rain.  I've had enough of it.

The week's been full of pleasant surprises, but let's start with a good ole rain moan.











1.  The big planter.

I got this planter during a Mr BigNoseDog health scare, the old guy being a hefty 16 years old.  He bounced back, unaware of all the fuss.  The planter got planted without his good self.


The planter is metal of some sort, with a different sort metal insert plus a plastic lining meant to prolong the insert metal.  You can see that the inside metal liner bends & waves - artistic self expression, undoubtedly.  All the above had drainage holes, so I did as I was told & used the three layers.

Of course, the planter flooded in all this rain.


Drainage was achieved via a few holes punched in the black outer shell with a behemoth nail, then drilling through the nail hole to create a 2nd hole in the inner shell.  A planter I wouldn't recommend.


2.  More blackberries.

A garden can never have enough blackberries - gives hope of them making it off the cane & into the kitchen.


With the addition of 2 more plants this week, that should now be about 40' of blackberries in this garden.  There's still a coupla naked panels left on that fence line, but I'm showing a little restraint.


3.  More castor seeds.

You may remember that I dead headed my castors to prevent them murdering me.  Then I learned I'd have to be proactive to be murdered.   Dead heading ceased, a few seeds were gathered, frost arrived.

Then I noticed this happening on what I'd assumed were spent flowers.  Instead, there turned out to be a good dozen ripe seed clusters like this one.



The things I find by not over tidying the garden in winter.


O joy, thy name is castor seeds. 


4.  Bergenia buds.

Other SoSers've featured their bergenia buds, some further along than mine.  These were transplanted last month, so I'm happy indeed that they're now in bud.


They're actually the normal quite-pink bergenia colour, but no matter when I took the photo - morning or avoe, rain or shine - the camera always gave them this faded rose tint.


5.  Nigella squatters. 

Love in the mist took over the laburnum's pot last year, & so got themselves evicted.


Or so I thought.  There appears to've been some self seeding.  They stayed in bud for yonks last year before blooming, so I expect the same again.  The foliage looks quite good despite several frosts.


6.  Paperwhites.

A few weeks ago, I'd lost hope the Paperwhites would show themselves.


For the most part, they still have not.  But there's always that one.



Cleaning the cracks.




And that's all for this week.

If there's any celebrations in your near future, I hope they're full of good people & good food.

Until next time, thanks for stopping by.








10 comments:

  1. The rain does seem relentless, although the sun is shining here at the moment (not for long I fear). Those castor seeds are amazing! Pity about the planter. It certainly looked good. I'm wondering whether some of my potted tulips are going to survive all this sogginess. We shall see. Despite the weather may your days be merry and bright over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried about some of my potted bulbs, too. The big planter looks really good behind the astrantia, etc., that flower in front of it, so now that the flood is over, I may forgive it. Best of the holidays to you & your family!

      Delete
  2. Rain - bah! Glad your bergenia is getting going, and your paper whites! Happy Solstice to you and that goes for Christmas too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gill. Hope you & yours have the best of all the winter celebrations!

      Delete
  3. Apparently it's raining.? .. Joking: Here too, but reasonably compared to those who have floods.
    Nigella already in buds ? When I think mine are only 5cm ...
    Happy Christmas to you, your son and your family,Lora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a drop or 2, Fred. And you're right, at least the only flood we've had was in the planter. I was pleasantly surprised at the nigella. Also have columbine that's huge, tho not in bud. The very best Christmas to you & your family, Fred!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad your planter remains dogless! I seem to recall you and your family like to bury pets in pots... I'm so over this weather too and my garden gate has taken a battering in the storms hanging on with only one hinge now and it has been far too inclement to get out there and repair it. Oh, well, let's hope there are some drier days ahead so we can all get out there and enjoy what we like doing best. Pottering around in our gardens. Happy Winter Solstice Lora xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr BigNose is slowing down markedly but the vet says he's very healthy for his age, & most important, he's the happiest dog alive. Loves life. We use 'burial urns' rather than graves because work moves us so often &, tho it's probably silly, we don't want to leave anyone behind. Hope your household has the best of winter celebrations this year!

      Delete
  5. My new gate has swollen too, it won't shut properly so flaps about in the wind, banging and crashing just like the old one. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was stuck in the frame, so He Who Has Brute Strength had to kick it open from the outside on bin day, then, because we have dogs, kick it shut again. As you see, not completely, but enough to keep the DoodleFace from visiting neighbourhood cats. Hope this coming week brings you good food & company.

      Delete