Saturday 11 May 2019

A Week of Surprises




Dog damage - never a surprise.



All good, fortunately.

I do love seeing old favourites show up in the garden, but surprises, especially good ones . . . well, now you're talking.

So six surprises in my garden on a Saturday.

Enjoy!





1.  Last tulip.

This fella arrived in a free bag of tulip bulbs that came with some order.  The rest were single colour, red or yellow, but he has some style.  While his comrades've given up their show to become a tiny grove of fading foliage, my guy's been blooming for nearly a fortnight.


A little stripe of class.

And for the pleasure of Mr John K, in the background, a Welsh poppy pushing open its bud.


2.  Should we name it Archie?

This hen came from a prolific flock, but hasn't produce for 2 summers.


The hen has a chick.

Now that's a surprise worth talking about.


3.  Weigela F. Bloom.

You may remember back when we first moved here, I kept shifting a pot of forget-me-nots, wondering who in their right mind packs up forget-me-nots.  Then I discovered a tiny weigela opening its leaves - a forgotten end of season sale item from last fall.


The weigela taking over where the forget-me-nots left off.

Surprise!  It's in flower now, a gorgeous little spark of fire.


4.  Another clematis volunteer.

Last week, I shared a clematis blooming for the first time ever.  It started life as a volunteer in my witch hazel pot, the suspected seed of a neighbour's rampaging clematis known for casting its chillen far & wide. 


And when will you bloom, you pretty little thing?

This week, I found another volunteer clematis in the potted oak tree.  I've not noticed it before when tending the oak, but as you can see, there's the ubiquitous forget-me-not, so perhaps it's only now been able to show its face.

Or do they lurk for a few seasons, then germinate?


5.  Heliotrope.

My excuse for buying more plants at this time of year?  I saw a planting combo I wanted to replicate which featured a heliotrope.

I only needed one but they came in packs of three.


Double the joy.

My records show they charged me for those three, then sent me six.  I like that very much.


6.  Guess the heucherella.

As to buying heucherellas, I blame SoSers who led me astray with examples of heucherella heaven.


Identify yourselves.

They're meant to be 4 different colours, but some've yet to show their stripes, so I can't really plant them until I know who is who.   Bummer.


After these 6 surprises, time to beat a familiar drum.


Read me!


Allan Jenkins' book, Plot 29,  has been passed hand to hand amongst SoSers & it seems I'm the kid who caught the spud in a game of hot potato.  This is my 3rd try at offering it out to the great wide world, so do take pity on me.

Allan Jenkins, the editor of the Observer Food Monthly, writes 2 parallel stories in his memoir: his search for his biological family after his brother Christopher's death & 15 months in his allotment, Plot 29.  It's an honest, sometimes brutal story, never graphic, always beautiful.

Contact me, & the hot potato is yours.   


Be sure to visit Mr P who hosts this meme.  He's got black stockings that make me think more purchases could be in my future.  In his comment section, you'll find links that open up inside gardens all across the globe.

Thanks for stopping by!







18 comments:

  1. Ha! The Welsh re-invasion of England begins (with a bit of nosing around). Now if you go out and buy four plants without labels you need to and stand in the corner! If they are Heucherella (rather than Heuchera or Tiarella) then you should plant them in a shady spot. I guess the two at 1 and 7 o'clock are always going to look like that - un-patterned leaves and there are, for example, three Heucherella I know with plain lime green foliage. 11 o'clock is showing some patterning but until you get mature leaves it's hard to say what the pattern will be and there are half a dozen varieties with that sort of colouring. 5 o'clock may turn out plain or patterned, of course. If you want to keep them in pots for any length of time then I'd suggest a minimum pot size of 2 litres and somewhere shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 2 yrs, John, one would think you'd come to know I garden by the seat of my pants & so I stalwartly refuse to stand in the corner. (If that's an American phrase that sounds a bit racy to the British ear, my apologies. I'm so past racy, its sad.) I have names for the heucherellas - by default, 1 o'clock is Sweet Tea, but there shouldn't be a lime greeny - ewwwwwww, if you're right about it. By necessity, I can never 'go out' to buy my plants, so have to trust the lords of internet shopping. In this case, they didn't label the individual plants, so it's a waiting game.

      Delete
    2. Well you know one of them (though if you hadn't said, I wouldn't have suggested that one). The foliage on 7 o'clock looks reasonably developed and I'd have thought it would have displayed any markings on leaves that size tho it may develop darker green veining which is why I suggest it may turn out lime green. If you're trying to ID them and the grower can't help (say by saying that they're a random four out of a list of twenty) then have a butchers at sites like Plantagogo (https://www.plantagogo.com/) or Heucheraholics (https://www.heucheraholics.co.uk/) which, if nothing else, have loads of photos to compare yours to. There are, of course, lots of other sites that sell them but often the smaller/cheaper places will give different names to the same variety. The plus, I suppose, is that at least Heucherellas tend to prefer a bit of shade so you know not to plant them in full sun. Strangely, the lighter the foliage, the more shade they prefer. 'Sweet Tea' would probably do best when it gets some morning sun and afternoon shade. I'll gamble that 11 o'clock is 'Yellowstone Falls' based solely on juvenile leaf shape and the bit of marking I can see. Haven't a clue about 5 o'clock.

      Delete
    3. They were advertised as Alabama Sunrise, Sweet Tea, Solar Eclipse & Gold Zebra. The look nothing like that at the moment, but 2 of the lime coloured ones do have delicate markings on the leaves. The third has a new leaf w/just a bit of colour, so perhaps their alleged lineage is accurate.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could grow Welsh Poppies. They refuse to grow in my garden despite attempting to grow them from seed and transplanting surplus stock from my mother-in-law's garden. Beautiful tulip and hurrah for the weigela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live, Graeme, that Welsh poppies don't grow? Ever since coming to the UK, they've followed me from garden to garden, gorgeous yellow faces trying to convince me they should take over. I thought they inserted themselves in everyone's gardens, but now from you & others, I know differently. Well, good luck to you, getting them to grow. They're lovely little guys.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing your heliotrope in flower later in the season.If I remember correctly, they have a flat head of deep purple flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last tulip but very beautiful nonetheless. The hen has a chick but I also see an oxalis on the left .... cute but quickly invading!
    I'm also looking forward to seeing the heliotrope bloom...I googled and saw gorgeous pictures about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm always evicting oxalis - I don't think my compost gets hot enough so I got a hot bin this year in hopes these things can be kept in check. That might be impossible in this case. This'll be my first year w/heliotrope, so I'm a little excited! And now I have SIX of them. Just, wow.

      Delete
  5. Ahh... dog damage! No, it's not a surprise here either! I threw a tennis ball (accidentally of course) into the herb garden today, and had visions of lots of damage. Fortunately, the dog who stepped in knew he wasn't supposed to, and was the dog with tiny Border collie feet!

    Hope your little Archie does well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at the moment the dogs are enjoying the corn patch, but the plants arrive this week, so we'll be putting up a barrier to keep them out. Dogs & dirt.

      Delete
  6. New plants! It's been a week or two since I bought a plant. Hmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy a pair of your black stockings, but only because I thought, 'Those would look great with . . . ' The planter I bought as well? Hmmm . . . no excuse.

      Delete
  7. Here we all are reading SoS posts with everyone's beautiful flowers and it's little wonder that we sometimes go straight on a new tab and shop. Lovely posts as always Lora - you may garden by the seat of your pants but you so have some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes, I can convince myself a new idea won't fit in my garden (like your meadow, which is gorgeous) & sometimes I simply cannot. But do we regret it? I certainly don't. There are few pleasures as great as gardening pleasures.

      Delete
  8. Sigh... I keep on saying that I have bought enough plants this year and then I see something on a SOS post that makes me scribble down yet another name. Heliotrope are lovely, the colour and the scent. You are dead right, there are few pleasures as great as gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can convince myself there isn't a place in the garden for it, I'm fine. There aren't many reasons a plant wouldn't have a place here, tho, so . . .

      Delete