Saturday 25 May 2019

Heating Up




Honey bees

Last summer was so hot, it made me ponder relocating some place cooler.  But the extended growing season, the drought . . . well, maybe give the area another year.

Here we are, not yet end of May (month, not PM) & already it's too hot for me.  At least things in the garden are loving it, including some honey bees that swarmed next door.  They sent scouts out & about, raised squeals from various neighbours.  There were probably a good 100 bees in my shed which I evicted by using the tadpole net.

The bee guy came & all is well, but the heat is still with us.


1.  First rose.

Our front garden is a swath of grass big enough to bury maybe 2 mortal enemies, but the border next to the footpath has several mature roses w/stems the size of my big toe.  The buds suggest they're all different colours.  The red one opened this week.



Bud & flower.

There's a thin brown line on the buds when they're closed - more visible on the bud in the background.  Not sure if this is a feature of this rose or a sign of something unhealthy, but it does make the buds look very pretty.


2.  Front mystery

A mystery plant grows in the border next to the front of the house.  I've seen it in other gardens, but never lived with it myself.  Guess it's time for an introduction.


Stranger in my bed.

In the photo below, this stuff grows around some dead stalks.  Am I right in thinking this is the new growth of the same plant?  Some junk tree seedlings rampage in this part of the bed so it's possible someone took a bit of weed killer to everything living there, with this as the result.


Same thing?


3.  Yellow Queen Columbine

Last year - their first w/us - these ladies grew in pots.  This year, they're in the shady bed.  Their blooms are bigger, but not as intensely yellow, which is a bit disappointing.  Their wonderful 'dove' shapes, though, are just as elegant.


Faded queens.

The softer yellow probably goes better with the rest of the bed, though.


In situ.



4.  Geum

A plant with a sense of humour.  The buds start out dark yellow . . .


Geum amongst the curry plants.

. . . then open red.


True colours.

This geum was something inherited in a former garden, not a pest but prolific enough to allow one of its progeny to come with me.  I've assumed it's Mrs Bradshaw but could be very wrong.


5.  Stump garden.

There was a stump in the middle of the lawn when we moved here, surrounded by light coloured square rocks.  A bit of weeding unearthed a brick circle around the stump, giving me ideas of a flowerbed.

In the lull before the corn plants arrive, I've been tackling the overgrown bricks.


Bricks & a bit of stone.

In the process, I discovered that the stump is not a stump at all, but firewood.   The brick circle is a fire pit.  Or more accurately, was.  It has purple columbine growing in it, probably self seeded from my neighbour's garden.  Some of my annuals will soon join it.


6.  Rodger

First time ever meeting a rodgersia pinnata, 9 or so years ago => I stepped out the back door of our most recent new house, saw him blooming in a flagstone bed, & thought, 'If that doesn't make a person believe in magic, there's something wrong.'


Bronze peacock.

On my most dismal days, if I look at Rodger, that feeling comes back to me, even if he's not in bloom.  There's nothing so healing as a garden, & perhaps we all have our magic plants.  For me, it's Rodger.  Hate his name, love his magic.


And that's my #SixOnSaturday.


It's way too hot to work on the bricks, so think I'll join Mlle DoodleFace in the hammock.  I do hope you go check out Jon the Knife whose avoe today will be spent executing the Chelsea Chop.  His kinder more gentler side lets all us SoSers post links to our blogs in his comment section.  There's gardens from all over the world, so go take a look.



Living is easy.

Thanks for stopping by!



16 comments:

  1. Very beautiful first rose Lora, mine are still buds.
    The mix anemone, columbine and hosta is very nice.
    About the geums , they look like Mrs Bradshaw that I grow here too. The stems are quite tall (50-60cm), a large flower( 5-6cm in diameter with yellow orange heart) . How are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you re: the shady bed. Because I now have a south facing garden, shade is minimal, so all my shade lovers've been stuck in one corner, from woodwardia to astrantia to actaea, so no method in my madness this time. Yes, my geum performs very much like your Mrs Bradshaw, so until someone tells me otherwise, that's what I'll call her. Does yours self propagate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st year, so I will tell you more later...but I already have seeds to collect ( just in case)

      Delete
    2. Mine would just appear at other places in the garden, so I assume that was via seed. Can't believe you have seeds when mine aren't even open yet!

      Delete
  3. That yellow columbine is rather nice and really stands out. Ours has rather anonymous small purply red flowers that go unnoticed. It may go. I'm not a fan of the heat either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbine is one of those great givers - great foliage, wonderful colours, self seeds like bunnies - but after a while, they do tend to all turn purple in the end. A real shame.

      Delete
  4. I think your mystery plant is a fuchsia. Roger is looking lush as are the aquilegias. Love your jokester geum, always love a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are absolutely correct. I've lived w/a coupla fuschia, but never had ones w/that little spiky bit on the leaf. Or never noticed it before. A horticulturalist, I shall never be.

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure that your mystery plant is a fuchsia. Wait and see until it flowers. So how hot is hot? I'm not sure where it is that you live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill agrees w/you about the fuschia. I've never had one w/those little spikes on the leaves, but an image search indicates it's common. I'm in the UK. We've had temps of 20 & 21, which is too hot for me & the dogs. I didn't move from the US south to the UK for the sun, let me tell you. Our contract has been broken.

      Delete
  6. I like the look of that Colimbine. Do you know what kind that Geum is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The columbine is Yellow Queen. I started w/6 2 years ago & now only have 2, but will happily get some more. I inherited the ancester of this geum but have always called it Mrs Bradshaw. Fred says it looks like his Mrs B, so perhaps that's it. Should I try to collect seeds for you?

      Delete
  7. I have a rodgersia like that, it comes out the ground great but something then eats it. I did get some nice flowers on it last year, mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprised me, as nothing has ever eaten any of my Rodgers. However, when I looked it up just now, apparently S&S are the only pest but usually just take a nibble, according to the website I visited. Just your luck, eh? And the flowers are pretty special.

      Delete
  8. Yes Fuchsias, but I think you have two different ones. The stems are different colours...one will be a light coloured one with some white, and the other with darker stems will have some deep purple. If you like propagating, three small tips will make you more plants in just a few weeks. You can cut the dead wood out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle. They sound like they're going to be nice. I've been taking out the dead wood (as well as the junk tree saplings) but haven't noticed any buds as yet. There appears to be about a metre length of each plant, which is enough at the mo. However, when my inevitable next move comes, I may want to take some w/me.

      Delete