Saturday 20 July 2019

Blooms!







While much is happening in the garden this week, there's been fun & food & people celebrating #1 Son's Big Achievement.

I'll forego the usual chatty report for my #SixOnSaturday post, & leave you with Six photos of blooms seen in many of your gardens, no introduction necessary.

There's plenty more Sixes over at The Propagator's, so make sure you stop by.








1.  Canna



2.  Freesia



3.  Glads.



4.  Sunflowers.

When this pale yellow sunflower appeared in several SoS gardens last year, I fell in love.  It's just as beautiful in person, growing on either end of our corn patch, threatening to become a favourite.


The birds planted a few of their own, so we have the giant sunflower 'trees', as I call them, because they have one huge main flower, then several smaller flowers growing up the stem.



5.  Nasturtium.


This photo doesn't show how blood red these flowers are.


6.  Fuschia.



Ok, so I did natter a bit, but this is me we're talking about here.







Hope you enjoyed the photos & thanks for stopping by.

Now back to the party!









15 comments:

  1. Well done the number 1 son! Another SoS featured freesias today. I had no luck with them whatsoever this year (my first go at growing them) - not sure where I went wrong. Great Six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes. We're eyeing another bottle of champagne, so might not get to the other freesia post today, but hope to eventually. Not sure why they didn't work for you - these were free so I just stuck them in the ground on my way to do something else. Must've been lucky, choosing the right bit of ground!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Fantastic sunflowers! The rabbitzen had all mine this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the bird-planted sun flowers do so much better than the ones I lovingly nurture. Maybe next year for yours?

      Delete
  3. Giant sunflowers that's what I have at home ... the huge size of the biggest makes it bend the head because of the weight now .... The birds will be happy this winter! Congratulations to your son: graduate of what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine are the same. Not only is the head drooping a bit, but there's a curve in the stem close to the ground. I have metal pipes to support it, as we're having winds these days. Best Son Ever got his PhD for writing a novel & justifying its place in the literary canon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh ! a future novel ! Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done no 1 son. I have never frown freesias that may ha e to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your son and whilst I missed your usual amusing chat, I loved all the plants you photographed. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katharine. There's a reason we keep planting these babies. Year after year, they're just as beautiful. A great time of year for the garden.

      Delete
  8. The red nasturtium is lovely. I used to have some red ones, but I haven't seen any return this year. The yellow and orange ones come back every year! I planted some freesia this summer too, but no sign of them appearing yet. When did you plant yours? And I also missed the chat, but guess you were too busy celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nasturtium are all self seeders, too, & I've not had these blood red ones in the garden for several years. The original ones had darker leaves as well, so this one's either a throw back to that long ago ancestor or has been brought in by birds. The freesia arrived here early May, according to my records, & I usually am prompt about planting. The magpies found them fun to dig up, but there were too many bulbs for them to get them all. Hope yours survived. How long ago did you plant yours?

      Delete
  9. Well done dr. #1 child, big achievement. Your glads are a little ahead of mine, I think mine will all flower while I'm on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O that's a shame, this being your first year, but mine've been blooming for a coupla weeks, so you'll get to see the display. Can't wait to see those photos.

      Delete