Saturday 25 January 2020

New, But Not Really New Stuff

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comment section & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.


Neighbour's viburnum. 



The sun's led us astray this week, plants & myself equally.  Temps've stayed mostly in single digits, yet there're buds & bulb tips everywhere.

The old has returned as new.

And me?  I just can't convince myself to wait for warmer weather.

January is the month of folly, it seems.





1.  Neighbour's shrubs.

Below, my neighbour's shrubs before my October pruning, new growth since my spring trim rather evident.   I cut back what could be reached from my side, sparing the viburnum (middle blob) because it was in bud/bloom.


I'd thought the neighbour's landlord didn't bother with his shrubs, as there'd been no activity in that department in the 12 months we've been here.  This week, he sent someone to do their side.


The viburnum still blooms, but they didn't take that into consideration.


2.  Proof of sun.

It's startling, the difference a bit of sun makes in taking a photo.  For my eyes, it washes out colour.  But o, how pretty those shadows are.


I think this is my hesperantha.


3.  Nigella.

A few weeks ago, my nigella sent shock waves through the SoS community by being . . . dare I say => in bud.  This week, with a beautifully cast shadow, we see that bud opening.


And not just one bud.  It's mass nigella hysteria.  They budded early last year, too, but didn't flower until the rest of the nigella world woke up.


Odd, that there's little colour to them.  I believe their ancestors were pink.


4.  Tip of the tongue, The Bride.

The sun's caused the hesperantha to play groundhog & the nigella to open.  Me, I kept saying it was too cold to plant things out, yet plant things out, I did.

Two shrubs mysteriously appeared in my garden a coupla summers ago, already potted, identity unknown.  They get featured in an SoS post every year when white blooms form all over them.  No SoSer's ever identified them, although someone (probably Jim) said the name was on the tip of their tongue.  I call them The Brides, because all shrubs covered in white blooms are called the Bride.  At least in the West, they are.

One of them got planted last autumn, but I couldn't decide where to put the other until the sun came out this week.


Bride the 2nd seems to've survived being dumped out of its pot, into the cold, cold ground.  There are leaf buds all over both brides, too tiny for my photographic skills to capture.  So we shall have our annual SoS Guess The Bride's Name later in the year.  Tip of the Tongue.


5.  Cyclamen growth.

These new cyclamen gave a poor showing of bloom at the end of last year, though the foliage made up for it.


This is the first time ever that I noticed how red their new growth is.  Not sure if this is specific to this type or if cyclamen in general have red new growth. The other thing I wonder, since the leaves are to the side, is this a baby cyclamen 'hatching' off the main plant?


6.  Rhododendron Scarlet Wonder.

Just last week, I had a discussion with a fellow SoSer about how she got her rhododendron to bloom, as mine never had.  Her advice dealing with soil & food was consistent with my own regime.  Subsequent research told me that certain rhodes don't bloom for a few years.

I promised myself to dig out its name & do research on its blooming habits.


Before I got round to it, I noticed this little guy at the back of the shrub.  Success.  And now I totally don't care if Scarlet Wonder is a late bloomer or not.


The peonies are coming!



That's my Six for this week.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Hope to see you next time.

14 comments:

  1. Nice six - I see I'm late to join the SoS hysteria over your budding nigellas! Where do you live? - and how amazing that is wherever you live! Anyway - I'm sure you've answered these questions a million times now, so I'll come back to you later today to look at some of your other posts and find out for myself. Happy Saturday (and looking forward to seeing foliage and flowers on your 'Brides' (could they be Exochorda? There is a cultivar called 'The Bride')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An image search showed Exochorda & my shrubs to have similar blooms & foliage. The petals on mine are more compactly spaced than E. The Bride. There seems to be some variety amongst the differing types, & since the foliage looks the same, perhaps my guys have finally found their long lost family. My records show it blooming in April, so we'll see then. As to the nigella, my garden seems to have its own climate due to its facing & lots of brick, keeping it warm.

      Delete
  2. The shadow shot of the early Nigella is very nice. Fingers crossed someone can identify your mysterious shrubs this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy Thompson has a viable suggestion in her comment, so we'll see in April. Glad you liked my bonkers nigella.

      Delete
  3. The sun is good for your health, your mind and your plants. In addition it highlights what I have not yet at this stage: the nigellas ... What is yours ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These nigella have me mystified. As to sun, I lost my love of it after living in Australia. Then a few years ago, my GP prescribed 20 min/day - easily gotten if I take off the hat & long sleeves. I've learned to submit, but'll never be a worshipper. We must all take our medicine, it would seem.

      Delete
    2. I did n't explain well. The sun, you're right, is dangerous for the skin if you expose yourself in excess. What I was talking about was that sunlight is useful in winter because it 's beneficial to feel good rather than depressed. Your GP was right.

      Delete
    3. You explained perfectly, Fred, as you always do. I've no worries about my freckled old lady skin, altho perhaps I should. I moved from the sunny American south to a rain sot island because I prefer overcast, dreich days. Which is why my GP had to prescribe sun.

      Delete
  4. Lots of new growth. Going to go out and look for my peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the patience to grow Rhodedendrons. Perhaps I will give it another go. Also not sure if I have the right soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I have the proper soil, either, but my garden isn't big enough for a full size rhodo. Mine's a dwarf growing in a planter w/rhododendron soil.

      Delete
  6. Nigella in bloom - crazy! I have a few seedlings springing up but nothing with the audacity to flower as yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy indeed. There are others in the garden that are only a few inches tall, so I should have some later, too.

      Delete