Saturday 29 February 2020

Relentless


Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comments & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.


Shed felt.

The rain & wind've been relentless, with more happening today.

The whole world's now a quagmire, meaning Mlle DoodleFace (aka Mud Puppy) needs a daily bath.  Because of the weather, said bath happens indoors. 😱

The shed felt meant to replace the roofing lost pre-Ciara, sits by the back door.  Plants I'd hoped to've hardened off, are still inside.

Myself, I went from cabin fever to cabin despair after the hyacinth saga took an unexpected turn.



1.  Alas, poor Memory, I knew her well.

Recap => mystery blooms appeared in my pots a coupla weeks ago, both white & blue.  They looked like hyacinth, which I've never had in those colours.  The narcissus Thalia in the same pots hadn't made a showing, so I concluded there'd been an order mix-up until Mr P said his Thalia weren't evident either.

Then the 'hyacinth' opened into Russian snowdrops . . .


 . . . that had been purchased in the green & planted 3 short weeks ago.  Granted, they were more yellow than green at the time, but considering there are only 3 types of plants in these pots, one would think I'd've remembered them.

It's rare for me to feel disheartened, but rather than seeing any humour in this, I felt like the world's dumbest SoS-er.

Today, I feel there are worse things than not being good at what you enjoy.


2.  Peas, peas, peas.

I can't remember which storm thwarted my plans to harden off the sweet peas, but they've now grown into flimsy 8" stems, even after being nipped.

Sweet peas.

The edible peas'd been staggered to follow their sweet cousins in a week or so, but outgrew their tray instead.

Last week, Wild Parenting talked about planting in tins, so the edible peas got transferred into our ubiquitous pet food cans.  I juggled things in the potting shed, bringing in folding chairs for more surfaces, & now all peas, edible & sweet, are in the shed.

Edible peas.

Please God, the storms'll give me a week or 2 to get the peas out.


3.  Choco mint pellie blossom.

This pellie got featured here a fortnight ago when it came into bud for the first time ever.


My camera doesn't produce reds or pinks well w/o manual adjustments (which I haven't a clue how to do), but this bloom is bergenia pink.  The benefit to the colour being washed out in this photo, however, is that the markings show up better.  The pellie itself has become monstrous because I didn't cut it back last autumn.  I need to get a plan for it eventually, but at the moment, it's covered in buds


4.  Grape hyacinth.

The first grape hyacinth has arrived, only the one so far.


My neighbour's are guns a-blazing.


This planter stays in bloom nearly all year, self seeded nigella taking over next, then calendula in turn.


5.  Akebia.

My chocolate vine is in bud, some of which are nearly open.


This seems early to me.  What do the rest of you say?


6.  Clamour of Clematis.

I'm on a mission to get climbers up all the brick walls in the garden, hoping to cool it down in the summer.  Rambling in the Garden mentioned last week that Thorncroft Clematis had a lucky dip deal on vines that've lost their labels.  I got 3 for the price that one labelled clematis would've been.  The nursery sent suggestions as to what they thought the vines might be - all pretty stunning.


Like Mlle DoodleFace, they must languish inside until the current storm passes over.





That's me done talking for this week.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope to see you again, soon.

20 comments:

  1. Mlle Doodle Face is indeed languishing! I'm sorry the incessant rain is interfering with your gardening exploits: surely it must stop soon.
    Your peas look so much stronger in the pet food cans. At least they can survive in there for a good while.
    I know nothing about Akebia, but it looks as though it's happy in the wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peas in the cans are edibles, so have a thicker stem, but they do look rather happy. Wish I could pack up some of this rain & send it to you!

      Delete
  2. Ha Mud Puppy I like that. Oh sorry about your quagmire down there. It seems to be affecting everybody in different ways. I wrote in my blog that my garden is relatively dry. This is because of several reasons one of which we have had less rain than other reasons and with my garden being relatively small as it is ex council house and every where sort of can be reached from the paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just the garden, but the entire neighbourhood that's under mud. Our older dog is easily cleaned, but DoodleFace is full speed ahead in whatever she does, so comes home a mess. I hadn't thought of your garden as small - you do a lot with it. Hope it doesn't get too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know if my akebia is in buds. I will know that tomorrow morning. On the other hand, yours seems to be ahead! Here in Crète obviously they are already open flowers ... What a difference there is! ... I think I feel this in June in Normandy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Akebia is lovely. Although I have pledged not to buy any more plants this year except annuals for the patio pots, I still would like more climbers for my fences and this one I really like. Is it a monster though? Or easily tamed. As for cabin fever, tell me about it! Just when you think it is safe to go outside along comes yet another hailstorm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm disappointed in the akebia bloom size, but I'm not overly visual, so this matters. The foliage, on the other hand, is beautiful, so well worth it for me. Mine grows happily in a large container. At 3 years, it's grown 6' along a trellis & about equally up a wall, but not massively thick. It's supposed to be a rapid grower, but perhaps keeping it in a planter has kept it civil. I've never pruned it.

      Delete
  6. I was away last week and missed the clematis temptation. I can't wait to see what yours and Jonathan's look like. Always love your Chocolate Vine - glad to see it waking up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy admitted going back for more clematis after her last week's post, so she's going to have something to show as well. The akebia is a favourite & really tarts up its corner of the garden.

      Delete
  7. I've lost count of the number of times I've planted something then promptly forgotten it was there. On the plus side it means I frequently get nice surprises...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see why Granny refers to you as her #1 SIL.

      Delete
  8. I've also planted stuff and completely forgotten what I've planted and where. My wife and I had an allotment... briefly. My shining moment was when I sowed parsnips and then weeks later attacked them with a hoe thinking they were weeds. Your chocolate vine looks the picture of health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Graeme, thanks for admitting that one! It made me laugh. Maybe the whole 'hyacinth' saga was funny after all. The choc vine is a great addition to the garden.

      Delete
  9. Ah, the memory can let us down when we least expect it. I realised only today that I'd missed labelling some of the cuttings (from September!) in the greenhouse. There's a big difference between Verbena Bonariensis and Verbena Lollipop! 😁 I'm sure I'll find out at some point or other.

    Hope next week is a better one for you - this weather can't last forever, and a wee bit of sun will cheer us all up. On a bright day it's amazing how quickly we can forget our recent plant mysteries and disasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An image search tells me those 2 verbena are the same thing - that can't be right. Hopefully you'll get it sorted before they're in situ. The forecast says we're to have a few dry days this coming week, so at least the roof'll get repaired.

      Delete
  10. I've planted stuff and forgotten about them too. Usually in Summer when I find them nearly dead from not being watered. Anyway, I hope you solve the mystery of the missing Thalia.

    ReplyDelete