Saturday 22 February 2020

Stagnation

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comments & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.




Our calendar warns that, caught between Winter & Spring, February is ripe for stagnation.

It goes on to say the cure for stagnation is the Beginner's Mind - having an attitude of exploration & discovery.

That's pretty much how gardening goes for me, so's probably why stagnation & myself aren't well acquainted.





1.  Hyacinth mystery continues.

To recap => last week, I found what looked like a blue hyacinth in a pot where no hyacinth dare tread.  This week, I found both blue & white hyacinth growing in several pots.  Then I realised the original hyacinth (supposedly growing in another part of the garden) were pink.  Where did these blue & white hyacinth come from?


A quick record check shows that Narcissus Thalia are missing from the hyacinth pots, so the nursery must've sent the wrong bulbs.  Since they cost nearly the same, I'm undecided about contacting the nursery - the hyacinth are doing great, but I did kinda want those Thalia.


2.  Hydrangea twins.

These were victims of the not-so-shady border last year.  For those who don't remember, the angle of the sun in February when we moved in, was not the angle of the sun in mid-summer, making what we'd anticipated to be a shady border into the 3rd circle of Dante's Inferno.


A move to the shadier front garden followed by TLC, & look at them now.  They're still young, but I'm hoping they bloom this year.  I think they're Runaway Brides.


3.  Laburnum.

Another thing that's not bloomed for me is this laburnum sapling which, at the moment, is very ballerina hands.


This self seeded under a hedge & grew big enough to be seen.  I rescued it around 5 years ago, so it's at least 6-7 years old?  Maybe it'll never bloom as long as it's in a planter.


4.  Anemone coronaria Bordeaux

Their foliage has been up for a coupla weeks, but now it's teasing us with some colour.


These were so lovely last year, I got some white ones for the front garden.


5.  Phlomis plus one.

A Freecycler brought me phlomis when she came for whatever plant it was I gave her.  It rather surprised me to see some red at its base this week.


On closer inspection, apparently a primula'd hitched a ride with it.


It's a little ahead of my own (below) . . .


. . . which makes up for its lack of speed by having more buds.


6.  Dahlia Creme de Cassis.

I potted this up as soon as it arrived.  Before long, it & all these other seedling came up.


I've waited for 2nd leaves to learn they're lots & lots of tomatoes, none of which I intend to use.

Guess my hot bin wasn't hot enough, eh?




That's my non-stagnant Six.

Thanks for stopping by.  See you next time!

16 comments:

  1. Glad your hydrangeas are doing well. Hopefully you'll get a perfect display of beautiful flowers. Love hyacinth tho so ill probably keep them especially if they're doing well. February stagnation, well as your featured plants, it's a month of new growth, flower eager to sprung and a beginning of spring. A month of contemplation, reflection and anticipation of things to come. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm liking February. As to the bulbs, most nurseries let you keep the mistake rather than return it, so it's a matter of, is my disappointment worth having hyacinth & Thalia or am I just being greedy?

      Delete
  2. Stagnant is an excellent word and one that I can relate to at the moment. Those hydrangeas look very well after their summer frazzle. I would complain (in the nicest possible way) about the hyacinths, they aren't what you wanted. And you finish it all with a picture of beautiful Love in the Mist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my undergrad profs used to say that when life gets stale, it's usually a sign we're gearing up for something new. His reasoning was that if the status quo fulfilled us, we wouldn't move forward but when we're not satisfied, we start looking around for a change. A change in the weather'd do me fine.

      Delete
  3. Your hydrangeas look good (I haven't pruned mine yet). About the N. Thalia error, it allowed you to enjoy the hyacinths though ! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are too young to prune, which is why I wonder will they bloom. I'm really happy w/the hyacinth, but am sad about the thalia. However, it's probably too late unless they can send them to me in the green. I'll probably contact the nursery & see what they say.

      Delete
  4. 3rd circle of Dante's Inferno! That made me chuckle. I'm glad the hydrangea twins pulled through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your Anemone Coronaria appears in a future Six once its flowers are open. I think they are lovely, but I've not grown them successfully myself. I appreciate the warning about February and stagnation - I'll make sure not to succumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, they will. Hopefully your Feb will stay stagnation free.

      Delete
  6. I have some Anemone Coronaria coming through from last year and a packet of corms yet to plant, I shall wait until March and hopefully have flowers in September. They are lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real show stoppers. I didn't realise I could plant in March for autumn blooms. Thanks for the tip - twice the joy!

      Delete
  7. It’s a bit of a shame about the Thalia, (I’ve ordered some myself and am waiting for them to arrive) but hyacinths are nice too! I too hope you post the anemone coronaria when it flowers - I guess you don’t know what colour it is, so something to anticipate during the stagnation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coronaria bordeaux are big flashy red anemones. Gorgeous & destined to be posted here.

      Delete
  8. Ooh tomatoes! Haven't sown any yet, very tardy for me. You also reminded me that I have some thalia this year, of which no sign so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So maybe my thalia will show up. As to tomatoes, usually I'd be tickled at free plants, but over the years I've come to love the rosellas, all other maters tasting acidic to me. As I don't know what these are, they are not loved.

      Delete