Saturday 15 February 2020

Stormy Weather

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comments & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.


Open!






Another weekend of high winds, yet the plants make it seem like we've turned the corner toward Spring.










1.  Post Ciara.

Ciara's winds got up to 70+mph, but we luckily had little damage.  The shed's already loose tar paper flew to Kansas, while some of the climber supports were left a bit whopperjawed.

This planter surprised me, as I thought it was too heavy to topple - it's an old kitchen composter.


While it stayed upright, it did, however, dance around, chipping the paint off the pallet.


2.  Allium.

Last year, the allium I brought with us gave a poor showing, so good excuse to buy new bulbs.


Based on where these are planted, I suspect they're the bog standard purple-blue globe on a stick.  There are other more varied ones in other parts of the garden.


3.  Cuckoo in the nest.

I noticed this coming up in the pot that was supposed to have daffs & tulips.


That looks like a hyacinth, to me.  If so, what got featured last week (below photo) as growing in the very spot the hyacinth were planted?


I used to be quite good at labelling my bulbs.  Obviously that doesn't hold true anymore.


4.  Wild plum buds.

This little darlin tickles me pink.


I bought this years ago in a village plant sale.  Although it was marked as a wild cherry, Jim identified it as a plum.  It's young yet & only produces a handful of fruit which go to the birds.  When it blooms, it becomes a thing of glory.


5.  Choco mint pellie.

I got 3 fancy pellies last year, 2 of which bloomed their hearts out.  The third, this choco mint, was forgiven for not blooming, as it has wonderful foliage with a nice scent.  It was too beautiful to chop back for winter & has spent these cold, wet months in the potting shed.


Now it has buds, spurred on, no doubt, by the strawberries behind it that haven't stopped blooming since November.


6.  Sweet peas.

After seeing Mr P's peas last week, I broke open my own packets.


In a week, they're already too tall for the propagator lid to stay on.



Winter aconite in the trough & crocus in the grass.



Time now to wait for Storm Dennis to pass.

Thanks for stopping by.  See you next time.

16 comments:

  1. You are ahead of my garlic but I'm ahead of your sweet peas. Next week I was planning to post about these 2 items.
    By the way it's indeed a hyacinth that got lost there, you will soon see it in bloom like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the bulb in the post from last week is, though.

      Delete
  2. "Whopperjawed"? That has got to be my favourite word of the year/century. I love a rebel, and a rebel hyacinth is the best type. Keep safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to identify w/the rebel hyacinth, but more accurately, I fly by the seat of my pants.

      Delete
  3. Wopperjawed - agreed - a word for the Post In note on my desktop! Looking forward to the plum blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My devious plot to insert Appalachianisms into SoSers language is working just fine.

      Delete
  4. Those sweet peas are keen! They obviously wanted to be sowed. Whopperjawed? Really? Similar to gobsmacked, I suppose! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whopperjawed means crooked, off kilter. Now that the peas're in, I gotta follow your lead on the foxglove.

      Delete
  5. Whopperjawed! You always tickle me with your words. Glad to see your pellie is growing so well - be sure to share some pics of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to image search what the flowers'll look like, but I'll definitely show them here when they come.

      Delete
  6. I really must sow some sweet peas - thanks for the reminder. The wild plum buds are lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing them open. Clever use of a food bin/caddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything's coming into bloom at the moment. Or at least getting started.

      Delete
  7. Those sweet peas are very keen to get growing. I'm pleased to see that your winter aconites have flowered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your garden survived Dennis too? The flowering plum is going to look spectacular when in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, indeed, thanks. Biggest problem was finding a secure spot for the recycling bin. I suppose your were safe, so far away?

      Delete