Saturday 16 May 2020

Hey, Good Looking!

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoSers, check out Mr P's comment section & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.










Plenty of handsome stuff in my garden this week.  Come on over here & check it out.







1.  Verbena hastata.

I fell hard when I saw my first v. hastata in other SoS gardens last year, so of course, got one.  I didn't know if it'd survive winter outside, so collected seeds, not all that sure they'd germinate.

The parent plant did die over winter but the seeds germinated too well, & not only by my efforts.  They self seeded the flowerbed as well.


So I've now got a kazillion baby hastata plants.  Handsome little dudes, aren't they?


2.  Mirabalis jalapa (4 o'clocks).

Fred sent me these seeds a coupla summers ago.  They didn't germinate last year but've done well this time around.


The round first leaves really impressed me with their vigour, but the pointed second leaves knocked my socks off.  Pretty striking seedlings, to be sure.


3.  Iris.

For a more conventional beauty, here's this gorgeous thang.  I haven't a clue what it is, but every year, it takes my breath away.

Although there's 4-5 plants in the bed now, I've only ever had 1 flower stalk a year.  Some irises bloom once, then produce a new plant that'll bloom the next year, so perhaps this is one of those type irises.  I hope that at some stage, there'll be enough babies having babies that we get more than one flower stalk. 


Here's a close up of the flower.  Just love those colours together.


And then the bud . . .


. . .  which in itself is a work of art.


4.  Appletinis.

The appletini trees are still producing their beautiful russet new growth, while the mature leaves've turned green.

From a distance, the little appletinis themselves look black, creating a wonderful contrast with the leaves.  Here, they look like unripened blueberries, but they're actually a very dark brown.  Handsome indeed.


And Mr BigNoseDog ain't that bad looking, either.


5.  Clematis carnaby.

At the other end of the life cycle, the dying c. Carnaby blossom.


Miss Havisham's got nothing on this fading beauty.


6.  The Empress.

An established Empress tree can grow 2.5 metres in a year.  When I planted this one on 27 April, she was 12" tall.


That makes her growth rate an inch a week at the moment.  If she keeps that up, she'll not add 2.5 metres to her height, but'll possibly be as tall as myself in her first year out of the pot.






So there's some of my good looking stuff.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope to see you next time.

21 comments:

  1. Great week this week, full of promise. And that iris is a picture! And Mr BigNoseDog is the best of all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr BigNose really is the best of them all.

      Delete
  2. Those seedlings are looking good! The colours in the iris are magnificent. I’ve already placed my order for a couple of iris, due to arrive soon, and I will be waiting impatiently for spring and their flowers! Love Mr Big Nose peeping through the Appletini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something rather elegant about an iris. Look forward to seeing yours next year on SoS. A little secret => Mr BigNose has cataracts & only looked in my direction becuz I called his name.

      Delete
    2. Aw! Don’t give his secret away! He is lovely!!

      Delete
    3. He is indeed. Maybe blind, but super super sweet.

      Delete
  3. I 'm glad to see that the mirabilis have sprouted. You will be able to enjoy them this summer, with these pretty flowers!
    Very nice Iris, I have one like you; unlabeled unfortunately that comes from my grandmother then my mother…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the mirabilis, so thank you very much. So glad I didn't kill them this year. The dianthus seeds have also germinated, so will feature anon, I am sure. As to the iris, I'm sure I bought it so info should be in my big plant box, but I've been to lazy to dig it out. Your grandmother had excellent taste in irises, to be sure.

      Delete
  4. I wish I'd had the brains to collect seed from my now deceased v. hastata. I'll have a nose to see if there are any self seeded offspring. Another one has been ordered so I'll follow your example next time. Mr BigNoseDog looks very impressed with the appletinis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was being more hopeful than anything else when collecting the hastata seeds, but it turned out well for me. I found the self seeded ones lurking under other plants, so check under leaves.

      Delete
  5. Is that a calycanthus in the top photo? If so, I love it! If not, it looks like it! It's so exciting to find self-seeded plants! I have a few volunteer annuals I neglected to buy seeds for, and now see there is no need. Like I will never need to buy poppies of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. I grew up knowing it as a spice bush but later learned that outside our little region, folk called it a Carolina alspice. Calycanthus will do. Calendula is a great self seeder but this year, mine really surprised me by putting on a show before I'd even begun to think about annuals. Free seeds, yes!

      Delete
  6. I've tried to grow bearded iris here but without success. Maybe it's time to try again, tempted by your sumptuous blooms. Your Rogersia is looking good, what a leaf colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That iris is pretty fantastic, for sure, but it's hard to find an ugly iris. The rodgersia is called Bronze Peacock. Last year was its first w/us & it didn't bloom, but the summer was dry. Better luck this year, I do hope.

      Delete
  7. Your last photo of the border looks good. I love the dark leaves and the purple flowers. Your Empress tree is growing quick! and that's a lovely Iris. It looks a bit like Red Zinger, I think, but I can't check as mine isn't quite out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The border flowers are stock & the leaves come from a rodgersia. I'm eager to see how it looks when the allium open!

      Delete
  8. The seedlings look fantastic and healthy. That is a pretty Iris as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New photo of poor maligned iris on my Twitter feed. Other'n the heat & lack of rain, things are chugging along. Hope the same w/you & yours.

      Delete
  9. i think my v. hastata have all survived the winter quite the thing, and seem to have bulked up too. i may have to move a couple to the 9th dimension where i have really a lot of garden space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our overly wet winter took out a few things here. Thank God for seeds.

      Delete