Saturday 30 May 2020

Redemption

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoSers, check out Mr P's comments & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.






Our witchy calendar says May is the month to dress your well.  As dry as this month has been, I'm very glad we aren't dependent on a well, dressed or otherwise.


While there's no rain forecast for the next fortnight, the garden this week has reminded me of hope.  Things which I'd given up on, have redeemed themselves.

So perhaps, too, we shall see rain.

Now let's do this thang.






1.  Dog Rose.

This self seeded in a flower bed around 7 years ago but'd never flowered.  I'd decided if it didn't produce this year, it was going to be guerilla gardened out of my life.


Apparently threats work with roses.


I'd expected white but am delighted that it's pink.


2.  Bramble buds.

Last year, the bramble from next door was left to cover the fence & provide support for the new hops until said hops matured.  This the bramble did, but it didn't produce a single flower.

With last year's bramble growth still in place, that was all the hops support necessary, so I determined if there were no berries on the bramble this year, I cut it at the base, leaving the dead wands in place as a hops trellis.


We've at least got flower buds - lots of them - so hopefully berries to follow.  Another plant that responds to threats.


3.  Bass guitar.

When El Punko's guitar died, it couldn't be fixed & no one wanted it for parts.  This week, he decided he was tired of it taking up room in his office.  I offhandedly said that it'd make an interesting trellis.

Later that same day, he-who-never-gardens surprised me.


There are rhodochiton, thunbergia, & Japanese anemone planted at the base of this wall, which he assures me won't clash with the brilliant red of that guitar.  We shall see.


4.  Deutzia purchased as raspberry sundae, but an image search says, no.

Not that many weeks ago, I shared the unthinkable on Twitter - that I'd fallen out of love with my deutzia.  The flowers were pale & lacklustre at the time.  Most unfortunate, as it wasn't the deutzia's inner self I loved.

But the flowers darkened, so now my zest is back.


I don't remember it doing that last year.  Let's hope I remember it next year.


5.  Ricinus.

I've lost count, the number of castor seeds I've planted this year with no results.  Even as we speak, there's a warm tray of them in the dark, thinking about whether to make an appearance.

Imagine my delight when I found this self-seeder growing next to one of last year's ricinus stumps.


The late ricinus had been shorter than others planted across the garden, so I decided to move this seedling to a better spot.  However, I couldn't extricate it, so lifted the ricinus corpse for better access.

The seedling came with it & seemed attached to its dead ancestor.  Even though these leaves don't look like new growth on an old plant, I decided to relocate them together rather than risk damaging the seedling's roots.

There shall be weird ricinus flowers in our garden this year.


6.  Honey garlic.

I'll close with the honey garlic, that speaks for itself.  (The videos loads faster if you full screen it.)


Thanks for stopping by.  Hope to see you next time.

19 comments:

  1. Coolest garden trellis ever! The Dog Rose is a beauty. I'm glad it flowered. I'm not always patient when it comes to waiting for plants to flower. I will try to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much patience on this end, as how much work it'd take to remove something. My son agrees w/you re: the guitar. His partner, who plays bass in a band, is horrified.

      Delete
  2. Original guitar on the trellis! Why not also grow a clematis around? But I'm ok with the thunbergia flowers that will be superb with this red.
    I love the flowers of Deutzia. I bought one 2 years ago but it's a slow grower (and no flowers this week ... still a little patience for next week?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall border'd been planted before the guitar went up - clematis is a great idea if all goes well this year. Getting the right colour will be the key. I've another deutzia which is only in bud at the moment, so they must have a wide blooming season.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see the guitar with all those fabulous climbers around it. It's going to look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I getting the feeling that you're not so keen on the guitar as garden decoration? I think I enjoyed your video as much as the bee did, and the dog rose in all its simplicity looks lovely. Could your deutzia be 'Strawberry Fields'? I haven't got one, but its been on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the guitar, just not certain the climbers aren't going to clash w/that wild red. I'd wondered if the deutzia were strawberry fields, but there's so many shades of red in photos, it's hard to tell. The colour pattern is definitely the same. Run out & get one immediately!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant idea with the guitar. It will look cool when all those climbers grow around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! If not this year's colours, then definitely next year's.

      Delete
  6. That's an interesting trellis ornament you have there. I hope you warm to the trellis once the plants grow amongst it - I think you just might get a pleasant surprise.

    Glad to hear that your deutzia has rekindled it's magic and possibly saved it's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only concern about the guitar is colours clashing. Since the vines are annuals, it'll only be one summer if they do. I love the red of the guitar & think it's a funky addition. As to the deutzia, its life was never in danger. I'm hopeless at killing plants & would've found it a new home. Glad I didn't, tho.

      Delete
  7. Loved the bee visiting the Keel garlic...they do the same here..waiting for all the flowers to change to ripening seeds and they turn upwards then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them have started turning upwards & by the look of things, there'll be tons of seed. The birds perhaps shall be happy.

      Delete
  8. A musical trellis...I think that's a first on Six-on-Saturday. I understood nothing clashed in a garden. Anyway, please would you come and give some of my plants a talking to, you clearly terrify yours with your threats. 😲🤭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing clashes, then the guitar'll be fine. As to threats, I learned my technique from Gill, so perhaps you'd be better calling in the expert.

      Delete
  9. Wow what a man idea for a Trellis. My garden certainly reminds me of hope. That’s a great way of describing what the garden is doing for me hope....as a country we will get through this and one day we’ll get some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that not only the garden, but other gardeners give me hope, too. Rain on Thursday, they say. Let's hope it's true.

      Delete
  10. love the wall guitar! well done on your ricinus, i noticed a similar self-seeder the other day, i must check it is still ok. i have 3 which grew from seed this year, still no more than 6 inches high, i must get them planted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarre, that ricinus seeds need to much care to germinate, then we've got these others that self seed. I've still not got any to germinate & think it's about time I give up for this year.

      Delete