Saturday 10 February 2018

No More Snow, Please



Old man, Mr Big Nose loves the snow.
Most mornings, Big Nose & myself walk along the school route.  See that young fella there with his head down, the one whose expression says he'd rather be in bed?

He'd be yet another anonymous school lad if it weren't for snow mornings.  The merest of white dustings & suddenly, he's cheery, chatty, not able to stand still.

Before emigrating, I battled mountain snow for years, & fervantly hate all snow now.  No clue why this boy chooses to share his snow glee with me, of all the dog walkers he sees.



Snow.  Bane of my existence.



1.  Snow will be tolerated on the holly.




It does look nice w/that dark green foliage.



2.  But look at my poor foxglove.




Long-suffering foxglove.



3.  The bergenia managed a brave face.




O, the indignity of it all.


4.  And I suppose the fatsia seed heads are actually improved.




Looking more alien than usual.


5.  But the snow brought it's no-good friend.  


Ice!


Confined to the glass top of the patio table.




The glass top has since been brought inside.


There'll be no sitting outside today.




Not exactly the hot seat.


6.  The witch hazel only lightly dusted.   




Snow witch.


Not that it worries about snow.  Actually, there's barely any snow on the witch hazel, but it's having such a great blossoming, it deserved to be featured here again.




Love at first sight.


So there are my Six.  Rather than end on a snow note, I leave you with something I love.  You may remember a few weeks back, I told the story of my crooked cherry tree.  The sight of it in full bloom, growing through a shrub, well how could you not give your heart to something like that.

As always, I remind you to visit  The Propagator who'll have his own Six, plus hosts links to a vast array of Sixes in his comment section.






13 comments:

  1. We had a little flurry of snow here on Tuesday. Didn't settle but got the neighbourhood chatting and scratching heads. In the end we all agreed that we had only seen three occasions when snow actually settled since the summer of 1991 (when we all moved here). I see your Fatsia has hung onto its seeds so you'll get nice berries. Mine always drops its seed heads and leaves me with a lot of bare stems. Never a berry! Oh well! Never snow either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year w/fatsia & so I didn't know what came next until you mentioned berries. Looking at Google, they closely resemble some ivy berries. Hopefully the birds'll be ecstatic. You can have my snow, if you want.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big fan of snow either. You did get some pretty pictures of it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O, the perspective you've given me, a Toronto resident empathising w/my snow whining.

      Delete
  3. Snow... good for skiing but not in our gardens ......we had some on Friday but with a beautiful sun, all disappeared at noon. Don’t be afraid, I think ( and I hope) that all your shrubs will recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your snow level sounds on a par with my own. Everything outside seems happy enough except for the chard.

      Delete
  4. We had a light dusting of snow last week & it seems to bring everything to a halt! It does seem to add an extra prettiness to the garden even though we are fearful of it killing off anything that has started to grow. The cherry tree blossom looks beautiful I'm not surprised it's stole your heart x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow does keep me out of the garden, but as with yours, mine is now gone. Soon, my crooked cherry soon bloom again.

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are beautiful, but coming from the mountains, you know you can't really call that snow, right��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slippery slope, this snow craic. Have to hate it from the very first flake or next thing you know . . .

      Delete
  6. Oh the witch hazel!She's beautiful. I have always wondered what they smell like..care to have a go at describing the fragrance?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just back from sniffing the witch hazel. I smell nothing other than plant. Other bloggers have talked about the wonderful sell they give off, so either I waited too late in the blooming to sniff or it's in a scent range that I don't pick up. A really good question though, so I'll be sure to ask anyone who talks about the witch hazel smell again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for going to check. That was generous of you! Since I read your post I have been drooling over witch hazels on the RHS site. So many desirables, so little time or space!

    ReplyDelete