Saturday 9 June 2018

Prodigal SoS-er



Spying on the neighbours during rest breaks.

The garden's in post-spring frenzy.  There's me flying behind, clinging to its coat tail. 

As such, it's been about 6 weeks since my last SoS post, which means you've missed my bluebells & irises & the 1st dwarf French bean flowers.

Fortunately, there's plenty of other #SixonSaturday bloggers, keeping pace with the season.

Be sure to check out The Propagator for his Six & links to all the rest of the gang.

So, the garden.



1.  Summertime & the ground elder is blooming.

The last time I lived with ground elder was 3 gardens ago.  At that time, I waged war.  An older & less healthy me decided to live with it in this garden.   I mow the flowerbeds it's taken over, not planting anything else there.  Around the edges of the deck, it grows with impunity.


Elegant ground elder.

Some local residents are glad of its presence.


Drunk on ground elder.

2.  Peony.

The clasped burgundy hands that surprised me by poking up this spring, have come into glorious bloom, upstaging everything else in the garden.


Dessert.

This peony's such a well formed shrub, I hesitated cutting any of the flowers.  Then either the wind or a cat or a passing banshee bent one of the stems.  How are we blessed with anything that beautiful?

Indoor peony.


3.  Shade garden.

Fighting with slugs over hostas never seemed worth it before, but I wanted a gillenia & something with a different foliage to contrast it.  After an initial slug nibble on the hosta, I circled it with dead cedar fronds, & the slugs've left it alone.  Think the plant combo's working out quite well.


Gillenia, hosta, herb Robert, ferns & Doodle tail (w/possible sleeping BigNose behind the chair).


4.  Too stupid to breathe.

All those long weeks ago, my last blog entry generated conversations about what the fruit trees were at the bottom of our garden.  Best guess from the best guessers was plum or cherry.  However, I'd convinced myself that it was the same type tree as the neighbour's on the other side of the fence.  The dried fruit on that tree were too big to be plum or cherry.

Then our hero, Fencing Guy, enters stage left.  He says to Hot-On-The-Tree-ID-Trail-Me, those trees don't have the same bark.  Meaning my tree & the one next door.

It's a struggle, gardening & not being very bright.

Anyway, in that same vein, I was very excited to plant our terraced area of the garden.  It had pavers over it, which I lifted to discover soil.  Well, if we add a little this, add a little that, then this here's where the maters would grow.

Seeds were germinated, pricked, potted on.  After the last fear of frost, out to the terrace with myself.  Dig, dig, dig.  An inch or so down, builder's rubble.

The soil was plant material accumulated over the years.  I knew the garden'd been neglected for a raccoon's age.  Just too stupid to breathe, that's me.

Anyhoo, the terrace as it looks today.


Veg garden.


5.  Mystery visitor.

When lifting the terrace pavers for the tomato planters (that need to sit on gravel, rather than concrete), I found this little guy. 

Snakes are common where I come from, but the only snake I've seen in the UK is an adder.  This fella doesn't really look like a snake to me - something about the head.  Is it a snake?


What's my name?


6.  My favourite thing.

I don't think I've ever shared a photo of my favourite tree, the Crooked Cherry.  Some day I'll tell you how it came to be called crooked (no relative of Nixon) & how it came to live with me.

Until then, here's Ole Crooked with valerian, Carolina allspice & what I call loose strife but others call toad flax.  I'm probably wrong (see #4 above).

Keeps getting better.



Ditch them maters.


That's what's happening in my garden this week.  Sun's shining, tomatoes, peas & beans are blooming, last mess of beans've germinated.  Time to put my feet up.

Or maybe not.  Looks like someone has other plans for my afternoon.


Hope to see you again, soon.  Until next time . . .


21 comments:

  1. Pretty sure that's a Slow-Worm (https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/reptiles/slow-worm).... which is actually a legless lizard with a silly name!
    We had three in our compost bin last year, and that's the first ones I'd ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link - it was really interesting & a much better photo. Did you ever see yours again or just that once?

      Delete
    2. I've not spotted it again, but it could be that it's just lurking in the bottom of the compost bin - I'll keep an eye out next time I open the bin!

      Delete
  2. I've missed your posts Lora. Lovely to see your garden again and I though slow worm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my initial thought about it was right. Just didn't look snaky enough.

      Delete
  3. Slowworms are great, they eat slugs! That peony is so lovely, it is almost obscene. Glad you are back, I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Madam Slow Worm can come out from under the pavers & have a feast in my garden. Hope to see her again, but suspect she's not overly fond of my attentions.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are back. I will try your trick with cedar fronds. I have red cedar which are very prickly. I suspect some around the hostas might deter the slugs. That being said, despite our incredibly wet spring I don't see much slug damage yet. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything prickly - rose or berry cuttings, etc - works. I got the idea from Fred initially who uses pine needles but I've no regular pine tree in my garden. Others've said it's been a low slug year. Here, they're raging.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you back, Laura. Lovely to see your garden waking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The busy part is slowing down to maintenance, so yes, nice to stop & enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Happy to read you again, Lora. For me it is a slow worm as others have said.
    I'm a bit jealous of your peonies ... already in bloom ... I'm waiting for mine and I guess they won’t be as beautiful as last year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This peony was here when we arrived. Think I might have to split it when we go. Some of your garden is ahead of mine, but hopefully we'll all get there by autumn.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back. Jealous you might have a slow worm a slug killler. I will have to make do with the Blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty chuffed about the slow worm myself! But I do like a nosy blackbird, as well. The way they run across the ground, orange beak pointing accusations. And their song!

      Delete
  8. I wondered what had happened to you so it’s nice to see you back. Your six is very interesting and I’m in love with the peony! Everyone seems to be mentioning slugs: they don’t seem to be such a problem here, but snails are. Lovely dog btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, people seem to either have a bumper crop of slugs or a chilling absence. Mine seem to have areas of the garden they prefer. I, too, was so pleased w/the peony - this is our first year in this garden & it was here when we arrived. And Mlle DoodleFace, well, she's an original.

      Delete
  9. Back in the game! I want a slow worm or a fast snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what we can do about getting you both.

      Delete
  10. Your garden looks fabulous, it's no wonder you haven't had time to post. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think all wee SoSers've been very busy.

      Delete