Saturday 2 November 2019

Between Showers

Six On Saturday is hosted by The Propagator.  For links to SoS blogs, check out his comment section & the Twitter hashtage, #SixOnSaturday.





Flowers & shrubs still bloom in our garden - even the pear tree's got a few blossoms.

But it's the last week of October, first one of November, clocks go back, winter's coming at us full throttle.

So for me, this week's been about getting things done during breaks in the rain.






1.  Faulty weather report.

We had our first frost on a night it wasn't supposed to get below 7C.


Fortunately, nothing was damaged.  This chocolate mint pelargonium's been waiting for the pumpkins to vacate his spot in the shed.  Now that the jack-o-lanterns've been carved, all is right in the pellie universe.


2.  Anemone coronaria.

With several bags of anemone to plant, I'd watched the forecast for dry days, so groups of bulbs could be soaked the previous nights.  The surprise frost made me realise this plan could have me planting bulbs in the rain.


The new plan is, if it's dry in the morning, I soak some of the anemones while walking the dogs, then plant a patch in the avoe.  So far, that's worked.  Only one lot of bulbs to go!


3.  Truly shady bed.

As to where the anemones are going . . .

This summer, plants from the oft mentioned not-so-shady bed got moved to the truly shady front garden.  The same front garden which had no available bed space.

I'm well passed being able to dig up large areas of sod for new bedding, so simply plopped each refugee plant into its hole, then covered the lawn around them with sheets of sheep wool that come as packing in our food boxes.

The middle section of the photo is what the whole bed looked like - pots held the wool sheets in place with small gaps for the refugee plants that've since died back.


The left side of the photo is what it looks like when the wool sheets've been lifted.  The grass is gone & the die hard dandelion're easily whipped out using a trowel.  A shallow skim of the top soil gets the last of the grass roots.

The right hand section has been planted with anemone & grape hyacinth, then covered with old compost from the tomato plants (grown in these green fabric planters below).



Not a method for those who suffer from critical neighbours - the wool sheets've been down for months, but the end result is going to be mighty fine.


4.  Winter colour.

I finally succumbed to one of those Winter Colour sales - stock, pansies & primula.


Once the summer plants in this area died back, the cat (mine or someone else's) claimed it.  These tiny new plants'd get dug up by any feline worth its salt, so out come the bamboo pole deterrents.


5.  Still in love.

There were those who said it wouldn't last, my love for the hops/bramble combo.  Now that the hops are turning colour, I love it even more.


If the bramble loses its mind next year, I'll cut it off at the ground & let the grieving hops cling to its skeleton.


6.  Neighbour's shrubs.

The landlord for next door doesn't trim his shrubs (or the brambles growing therein).  As the tenants are students, neither do they.  Believe it or not, I trimmed this fence line in the spring.


You might be able to see that the middle shrub is in bloom, so it got spared until next year.


A nice little sprig to enjoy during the work.



Louis Bonne pear blossom well out of season.



There's my Six.  It's supposed to rain again today, but so far, it's dry, so I'm outa here.

Thanks for stopping by.  See you next time!

15 comments:

  1. The choc-mint pelargonium does have beautiful leaves...I will have to look it up and see if I can purchase some locally. I have the plain green mint one, and the rose scented one. The choc-mint sounds very appealing. Love the colour of the hop leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine from Fibrex, but you're not in the UK, are you? The choco mint is the only pellie that didn't bloom this year. Not sure if it will, but the foliage makes up for that, indeed.

      Delete
  2. Pear tree blossom at this time of the year?? The climate changes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I haven't a clue what this means for next year's fruit. Hopefully the full tree'll bloom in spring.

      Delete
  3. Love the pelargonium, chocolate and mint are always a good combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father hated that combo. I think he was an alien.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing the grape hyacinths and anenomes next year. That middle shrub looks a bit like viburnum tinus. I was thinking about getting one but that one looks rather big. We've got flowers out on the esclallonia hedge - things are out of kilter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hyacinth & anemone look brilliant in my mind. Let's hope reality is just as nice. Yes, all sorts in the neighbourhood are blooming out of season. I think the flowering shrub is a viburnum - it's a very common garden shrub, at any rate. The fence is 6', so the shrub is easily 7', but honestly, the landlord there does nothing except get the lawn mowed. I think viburnum can be trained tall, short, wide, skinny, but if you don't want to bother then . . .

      Delete
  5. The chocolate mint pellie is appealing. I have said no more pellies as I am running out of room to store them over winter, though as I rarely get frost they might do fine left outside. I will leave a couple of the scented leaved ones to see how they fare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chocolate mint pellie as well. I don't see these geraniums locally (in Florida) Maybe a UK thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Have you tried the internet?

      Delete
  7. I like your wool method for killing off the grass to make new planting areas. I've dug up a lot of turf over the years and its done my knees in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your wool method for killing off the grass to make new planting areas. I've dug up a lot of turf over the years and its done my knees in!

    ReplyDelete