Saturday 1 February 2020

February, Thank Goodness You're Here

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comment section & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.


Our calendar says January's a month of incubation, not action, which is why resolutions seldom last.

I incubate quiet anxiety - over plants unseasonably budding & blooming.  Over dogs that've had Doodle crashing-through-the-woods injuries & BigNose old dog health concerns.  Over how the Home Office will process our paperwork.

Calming anxiety's my January work.

For today, that means thinking about 6 of my favourite things.



1.  Fatty japonica, Spidy Guy. 

This little guy came to live in a seating area  2 gardens ago.  He died back completely during the Beast from the East, then resurrected to tutor me on how much sun he needed in order to create the lovely spider web on his leaves.  This year, he got a shocking pink pot to show off his foliage.


Some SoSers don't like spider fatsia, but he suits me just fine.


2.  Shed blooms.

The strawberries (on left) have been in bloom since they arrived last November; I've not the heart to put them outside in the cold.  If that keeps them from producing this year, those blooms are quite the compensation.


The saxifrage have now joined them.  The saxifrage usually start a pinky red that fades to white, so not sure why they're starting as white.  Something to do with sunlight at this time of year, perhaps?


3.  Beating the Romanesco drum again.

Any plant that I can eat gives me a special joy.  This one has the bonus of being weird looking.

Of the original 21 plants, 17 lived, producing 11 heads so far.  Not a great ratio, but the other 6 aren't fully mature, yet, so I'm not sure if that number'll increase.


One of the non-head-producers has given us a purple leaf, though.


4.  Hyacinth Bucket.

Last year, I received a heart shaped bucket of forced hyacinths.  Come autumn, I planted them in the re-purposed linen baskets with the More Fool You If You Think We're Going To Bloom saffron crocus.


I'd given up hope, undoubtedly because of everyone's forced hyacinth, then this little guy made himself known.


6.  Oregano amethyst falls.

New to me last year, I'm loving this oregano in all phases.  At the moment, the textured leaves give great pleasure.


This photo doesn't so much show that texture, as make the leaves look spotted.  That's actually light catching on moisture from the morning mist.  Trust me, these leaves deserve being in the top 6.


Hibernation over incubation.


Undoubtedly, some of you are shocked & horrified that the Crooked Cherry didn't appear this week, but that's only because she's still sleeping.  Rest assured, she's my favourite of all favs, Romanesco not withstanding.

Well, I certainly feel better for spending time with my beauties, but even so, I spit on January, tff, tff.  Roll on February.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Look forward to seeing you next time.

13 comments:

  1. I've left my fatsia under fleece. I'm careful and even if the weather is very (abnormally) mild, I prefer to leave it quiet, just in case... because until the end of February we can see the return of the Beast from the East...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, Fred, if the weather should turn on us. There's another fatsia living 2 streets over that's in bloom right now.

      Delete
  2. The flower on the strawberry plant is very impressive. I hope BigNose old dog is okay. January did seem to drag on this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love w/this strawberry & so glad another SoSer featured it last year. I actually don't care if it fruits (altho I may later on in the summer). Mr BigNose is having a vestibular episode which isn't uncommon in old dogs & non-fatal. It's hard not to worry, tho, when the pets aren't well.

      Delete
  3. Lots to say about your six, are you sitting comfortably, I'll try to make it concise (unlikely). First of all I hope Big Nose is feeling a bit better, sending a big cuddle from Devon. I love Spidy, he looks so healthy, has he ever flowered? Still impressed by the romanesco. Hurrah for the hyacinth, my saffron crocus didn't flower this year either, perhaps we should give them a tomato feed. Strangely I remembered your unusal oregano the other day and couldn't recall its name, thanks for the reminder. Strawberry flowers - lush. I have emerged from my hibernation and returning to work on Monday, which I am looking forward to and dreading in equal measures. The End x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BigNose is recovering, thank you. Spidy had never bloomed - don't know if it's because he's in a pot or because he's young yet. When I first whined about my saffron, others (maybe even you!) said it might be food, so I shall definitely stuff them to the gills & hope for next year's crop. Hopefully Monday will be full of fun & no dread.

      Delete
  4. Your Fatsia is definitely one to be admired. As for the oregano that had me all aquiver..I have a few but not that one, so during the summer it will be great to compare. Hope the doggies improve....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what's to dislike in the spider web fatsias, but then, it's a good thing we like different things as it brings more variety. Thanks for the dog well wishes. The Doodle is on her 2nd foot injury & the BigNose is recovering well. Let's do compare oregano later in the year.

      Delete
  5. Oregano amethyst falls. Must write that down. I remember how amazing it is from your post last year. The nice thing about January is that the days grow longer. February can be a bitter month - I'm hoping not! But I am also hoping we have seen the last of all this rain for a while. Wishing you a chilled out weekend Lora xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm absolutely done w/the rain as well & hope it isn't replaced by snow. Amethyst falls is well worth it.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your last photo - but It looks like they're so comfy they might just hibernate for February too. I think 11 heads of Romanesco is quite an achievement (I don't have much success with brassicas).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be able to do a market stall, but I've enough to feed us. It's unusual to see the 3 darlin amigos huddled like that as Mlle DoodleFace, the black dog, doesn't like to be touched when she's asleep.

      Delete