Saturday 14 March 2020

Discoveries!

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's comments & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.







It's been a week of discoveries in the garden, including the misplaced Thalia
<= possibly being located.

O, the intrigue a faulty memory provides.

On to this week, so!







1.  Daffs.

These popped up in the akebia planter where they've lived for 3 springs, now.  They were a free gift for some plant order, along with a few other daff bulbs.

While I'm not sure the right one's good for pollinators, it's certainly a stunner.  The left one does all the things a daffodil should do, & with great style.


The discovery here (for me) is that both these fellas look good from behind, too.


The white against the peach & yellow & green . . . it takes my breath.


2.  My newest crush.

Every morning, Mr BigNose & myself hand Mlle DoodleFace over to her walker,  then sidle s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y back the way we came, taking the walk featured here last week.  Though you can't tell from the snap below, the plum tree at the far left is still very much in bloom.

The discovery, however, has to do with the large variegated holly in the centre of the photo.


Earlier this week, I caught a sweet citrusy scent just as I came up to the holly, so stopped & saw a bit of colour.


A camellia covered in buds & blooms.  Trust me, I'm coveting big time.


The folk living there are dog people we meet on the BigNose walk, so I might be able to beg cuttings.


3.  Appletini brown.

A pair of appletinis came to live with us two Christmases ago.  They didn't bloom last year, but end of summer, they were duly promoted to larger pots & fed like they were going to slaughter.


There's no sign of flower buds, but the leaves've begun to unfurl in the most delicious colour.  I didn't notice this last year, undoubtedly because we'd just moved & I had other things on my mind.  Absolutely adore the russet brown of that leaf on the right.


4.  Loro (petalum).

In a large planter out front are 3 small shrubs including the famous Loropetalum which blooms twice a year for me (& anyone else who has one).


Usually, I zoom in on her flamingo-pink witch hazel flowers, but thought this time I'd show her structure & varied foliage.  IRL, the red-purple leaves are slightly more intense in colour, a nice complement to the greeny-black leaves over the startling flecks of pink blossoms.


5.  Free planter.

One of the neighbours put this old picnic basket out for the bin men this week.


Looks like a great place to grow annuals.


6.  Pear worries.

We've 2 cordoned pears in the garden => Invincible on left & Louis Bonne on right.


Louis produces green pears great for cooking but not my preference for eating raw.  After 3 summers, I decided to leave him behind when we move, so planted him in the ground.  Full of promise at the moment, he's marvelous in bloom, which is why he's not been given away to some allotment holder.


Invincible came to us last autumn as bare root & was planted in a pot until his fate is decided.  His fruit will be blushed yellow, which I do prefer in a raw pear.  He's also alleged to have 2 spring bloomings as a protection against late frost.


He's alive, but doesn't look much like blooming, let alone twice.  His pruning from the nursery was much closer to the trunk than Louis, so perhaps next year'll be different.






And those are our discoveries for the week.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope to see you again soon.



18 comments:

  1. Louise bonne pears are the best to cook them as " Douillons" : Do you know?
    here is the recipe...https://www.750g.com/douillons-de-poire-r87805.htm ( in french sorry but Google Translate will help you, otherwise let me know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google gave me the immediate option of English, Fred, so now I'm undone. What could be better than pears & cinnamon? I shall definitely try this recipe, if I can save my Louis Bonnes from the squirrels & magpies. (I have plans.)

      Delete
  2. Most neighbours would be flattered if you asked for a cutting - so I hope you get one from them, the colour is so gentle.

    It sounds as though your Louis Bonne pear might be remaining! I didn't get an instant translation but easily done, so I've taken a note of it too. Not that I have pears in the garden, mine will have to come from the supermarket, which isn't the same at all. But the recipe appeals to me all the same.

    Love that new planter! Well done for spotting it. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbours might be tenant & thus not feel ok giving away a cutting. I'll give my best smile & show up w/Mr BigNose. We're also tenants, so Louis will stay when we move on. He could have much worse forever homes, but this autumn, I do hope to try Fred's recipe suggestion.

      Delete
  3. I've not seen a peach daffodil before. It's lovely. I think it's alright to have non-bee friendly flowers just for us gardeners to enjoy so long as there's something else for the buzzy things to feast on. Is that appletini a small apple tree? I comtemplated getting one once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The free daffs included a coupla the peach guys. I really like them, & agree w/you re: some flowers for us, the rest for the bees. The appletini is supposed to be a dwarf tree, the fruit the size of crab apples but sweet. Mine has done nothing fruit related yet, but this is only its 2nd summer w/us. They're both in substantial tub planters & neither are as tall as myself, so compact.

      Delete
  4. Appletini? Please explain. Love your namesake, such beautiful coloured leaves and the blossom is a bonus. Lucky you, nice basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Loro never disappoints. 2 summers ago, someone, perhaps even an SoSer, featured an archway he'd trained appletinis to grow up - imagine apple blossoms growing up an arch trellis. Stunning, so I got a pair, have trained them to do nothing & await their fruit, which is crab apple sized but sweet. Their Latin name includes malus, so I think that means they're a true apple tree.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your pears...such a treat later in the autumn to sit and eat one's own. Loro is a little beauty too with purple leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred's recipe suggestion will definitely get a try later in the year.

      Delete
  6. There's a stunning variegated holly on my dog walk too but it doesn't have a lovely camellia neighbour. Good spot Lora! I hope your pears both flower and fruit. I'm a big novice when it comes to fruit. I just can't bring myself to gen up on the pruning regimes. I too have two pear trees and even managed 4 pears last year. Pure luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was my worst year for pears, as there wasn't another pear tree close by, so fewer fruit which the squirrels & magpies stole, even tho I thought myself vigilant. The cordons are easily managed in terms of pruning, as they stay short & compact.

      Delete
  7. Very pretty daffodils. It's amazing what plant breeders can achieve from the same plant - they are so different. The basket should make a great planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Man mentioned (above) he'd never seen a peach daff before, so I've been snooping in other folks' gardens when Mr BigNose & I go out, but haven't seen another one yet. Nature does a great job all on her own, but I do really love that peach colour.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, Lora, I do hope you ma age a cutting from the camelia, the colours/markings on the petals are gorgeous!
    I didn’t know the invincible flowered twice, worth buying just for that, we don’t have any pears, something I must rectify 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy if my Invincible flowers once this year! But twice, that would be heaven. Fruit trees are wonderful in bloom.

      Delete
  9. Striped camellias! My favorites. That fluffy daffodil looks like something especially nice to eat, a syllabub or meringue pie. Is that brunnera I spy in the last pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the camellia & daff look like tasty desserts to me. Yes, the bottom photo is b. Jack Frost, blooming to beat the band.

      Delete