Saturday 11 April 2020

Chocolate Weekend

Six on Saturday is a weekly diary hosted by The Propagator & contributed to by gardeners all over the world.  For links to other SoS blogs, check out Mr P's COMMENTS & the Twitter hashtag, #SixOnSaturday.





I quite like the art in our family calendar with its monthly witchy themes.

April, it alleges, is meant to overwhelm us with seasonal change.

Rather than being overwhelmed, I'm gleefully catching up on projects meant for last autumn.

So let's do this SoS thang.





1.  Clematis reveal.

Last week left you on the edge of your seats, wondering what the first of the Thorncroft Lucky Dip clematis would be.  Rumour has it, some of you've been driven to drink by suspense.


Clematis Tae, it is.  Sadly, it has only 1 flower.  Next year.  Next year.  Can you imagine the impact it'll have?


2.  Brunnera Jack Frost.

This guy has been blooming for weeks, but keeps getting pushed to the back of the SoS queue because my camera washes out the blue.  In this snap, some flowers around the edges show true.

I've got 2 of these in the garden.  Since coming to us 3 summers ago, they bloom like crazy every year.


For anyone not familiar with Jack, his leaves get much larger once he's done blooming.  He's great for shade, & looks fabulous under-planting shrubs.


3.   Salix helvetica (aka Swiss willow).

This old friend is bursting with new foliage & catkins.


The leaves are fuzzy at the moment, but'll turn a silvery green.


4.  Edging the walk.

One of those chores not done last autumn.


While I'm not overly keen on straight lines, I do like a tidy path.


5.  Weigela neglect.

When cleaning up a flower bed, I found this poor little guy.  He's got beautiful foliage & dark purple flowers when they come, so you'd think he'd've been better treated.


And indeed, he'd gotten planted in a nice, prominent place when we first moved in last year.  As the summer progressed & his blooms spent, my attention strayed to flashier, taller plants.  The bed got extended to accommodate them.  Next thing you know, weigela'd been forgotten at the back.

I'm just no good.

To prevent this happening again, I've lifted him until a more suitable spot is found.


6.  Scavenging.

Despite snatching a picnic basket out of the bin man's hands a few weeks ago, I don't usually sort through my neighbour's rubbish.  However, when I saw this poor fellow on the kerb, I stepped in.


It'd be easy to come up with a sorrowful tale about a Christmas tree in April, especially during a pandemic.  I'm going to believe this was left after a student flat got cleaned out.  In addition to the bulbs & that thin wire of lights, the tree's covered in gold glitter.  A bit blinding when the sun hits it.

The needles are incredibly fine & soft.  New growth is visible in the first photo, but the tree's also covered in little brown cones.  Perfect.


Here it is, re-potted in a spare bucket. 


Quarantine buds, El Punko & Mr BigNoseDog.


So that's my week.

My spidey sense tells me there's chocolate hidden somewhere in this house.  Wonder if I'll have to wait until tomorrow for it?

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Hope to see you again real soon.

Good health to you!

24 comments:

  1. Wow that Clematis is a stunner, but I'm most impressed with your Christmas tree! What a great find! If it was found over here, I'd say it's a dwarf Alberta spruce - (Picea glauca 'Conica')- they're commonly sold potted in stores at Christmas. What do you think it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The needles look very much like it. They're unusually fine, compared to other small Christmas trees I've seen here, so you've nailed it. Thanks! A Swiss willow & an Alberta spruce! We're rocking it here.

      Delete
  2. Nice too see your clematis in bloom. One flower will become many in time, it was a good buy - and your little tree was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took Mr BigNose on his walk today, there was a dead Christmas tree in the same place. I actually gave its pot the twice over. I think I've got a problem. And yes, it's always next year for gardeners. Have to go for the long game.

      Delete
  3. That's funny, I'm sure I see two clematis flowers **takes another sip of blackberry gin** They're both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky lucky dip, lovely clematis flower. Love the Chrismas Tree, well rescued. :) Now off for my robot test .......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Clematis, even if there is only one flower just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My excitement at the reveal made up for there being only one.

      Delete
  6. It was worth the wait for this very beautiful clematite flower..!
    I also clean the path edges last week. It took me 1:30 ... Advantage: I can reuse the cut grass to put it back where I had moss on the lawn ... Everything is reusable. Happy Easter to you and you son Lora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a lot of paths in your garden!

      Delete
  7. Maybe use your sniffer dog to find the chocolate...remind him it is bad for dogs! Amazing what effect a neat edge has...instant pleasure that the job has been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate's been located AND without any canine help.

      Delete
  8. Great find with the Christmas Tree. I am glad the drama of the Clematis is TBC....I love a good melodrama. I have a shoot coming out of the ground where I thought I had lost a Clematis. I am probably going to have a wait for a year or two to see what it is. Hope you are having a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when plants resurrect. Even more so when I can't remember what they were.

      Delete
  9. You ended up with a lovely looking Clematis. Hope your chocolate dreams came true today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great find that Christmas tree was. It’s a little mini pine. I’ve got one by the front gate and it has lovely lime green new growth. Best wishes . Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of our Canadiain SoSers identified it as an Alberta spruce. It's a great little guy, but apparently they can get 7' tall. Nice size for a garden.

      Delete
  11. Your Clematis flower is perfection! What gorgeous colours. I bought one in summer, and thankfully I have not killed it yet. I’m hoping it will flower again next season. It’s only a really common variety as it’s performance (or not) will determine whether I get more for the garden. I was also fascinated with the Brunneria, so looked it up. I might just purchase one to add to my collection, as the foliage is a lovely contrast to greens. Lovely photos. You had a really good find there, and with some tlc it should grow well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other SoSers've said slugs like their brunnera, but mine've not been bothered, while plants very close buy are. Other than that caution, I'd recommend brunnera Jack Frost - a gorgeous guy.

      Delete