Saturday 2 December 2017

Critturs & Thangs

Snow-loving Doodle.






I know you're out there, you folk committing wintery exploits in your gardens.  After a snow flurry on Thursday, I've kept to my warm living room.  However, there's critturs & other thangs in that garden of mine, let me tell you.

But let's start with what's not there.












1.  There's always been owls swooping through my gardens of the last 25 years or so.  Sitting in the trees.  Me at the base & them looking down on said inferior being.  Silent & calling.  Silent & calling.

Until now.  In this garden, I hear no owls, so my son got me this old woman of the night.


The only owl of the moment.


She faces the house rather than the garden, & can be seen through the downstairs bathroom window.


Watching through the window.


2.  Spiders were welcomed in my mother's house, their cobwebs untouched during house cleaning.  I, too, like a good spider, inside the house or out.  This gal in the next photo was in my garden but isn't now.

There were several of them conspicuously hanging around before the snow, stringing webs across footpaths, thinking they could catch me & make a tasty snack.  This lady in the picture below lived outside the dining room window.  I'd eat my breakfast & watch her lay in wait for hers.  Round about Wednesday, she disappeared.  When the spider goes, snow is coming, & that lady is gone gone.


Madam Window Friend


2.  There are few things that upset me as much as disrespecting my precious garlic babies.  As you can see, something's been a tad rough with them.  In the larger garlic planters, actual paw prints can be discerned.


Poor little abused garlic chillen.


Fortunately, this past spring, I bought a wildlife camera because there were some strange noises coming from the abandoned lot next door, coupled with a familiar musk on the morning air.

Now, thanks to that camera, I could track down suspects in the Great 2017 Garlic Babies Travesty.

3.  First, the vagabond cats.  Yes, despite Mizzy BunnyButt's most severe glares, some of these dared show their faces in the daylight.


The brazen ginger tom.


The more elusive feline intruders came at night.


The rare black & white fluff lion.


The greater spotted leopard tiger.


4.  Then Mizzy BunnyButt, curator of all things, pointed out a breach in the perimeter, perhaps connected to those musky spring sounds.


As Mizzy BB demonstrates, there's a tunnel under the fence.


5.  Which brings us to this fella.


Brer Fox


Footage shows that before Brer Fox ends his nightly visits, he hops up on various pots to inspect the garden from a higher vantage point.

As much as I love my garlic chillen, I love Brer Fox more.  His visits will be tolerated, but there'll be some sticks tucked in among the garlic to dissuade him from those pots.

Those are my six offerings for the week.  Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to check out The Propagator for his Six & for other Six on Saturday links in his comment section.








See you next week!  Stay warm until then.

8 comments:

  1. Territorial resident cat offers training courses on keeping other cats out of the garden! Many moons ago, I used to have regular daytime visits from a fox who became semi-tame. He'd sunbathe on the shed roof and give me a playful swipe of the paw as I walked past. I'd feed him any out-of-date eggs I had but he became very demanding and insisted on in-date ones if nothing else was available. He got inside once and curled up behind the sofa in the lounge. I was watching telly and wondering what the odd aroma (he didn't smell like stale pee as we assume most foxes do) was until he scared the living daylights out of me by wandering around the room, ignoring me. I bribed him outside with an egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brazen ginger tom looks like a bit of a beast, all strutting attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is. Not afraid of me, Mizzy BB or either of the dogs. At least he doesn't come inside, like the black & white fluff lion.

      Delete
  3. I find foxes so fascinating! We don't have them here. And your "brazen ginger tom" could be the twin of our cat. We used to be quite cavalier about our cats, but in our dotage, we dote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats & fox both, brimming w/personality. Hard not to love critturs like that.

      Delete
  4. I loved reading this. I have a few visiting cats myself in the city. I don't mind the cats, but I do resent the ground squirrels who weren't content, like raccoons, to just sample my tomatoes. They had to cut the whole plants off at ground level. Kind of ruined gardening for me, since I did it partly to relieve stress. Fighting the squirrels just created more stress. The cats were more interested in hunting lizards and mice than ground squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have naughty squirrels. The worst mine have done is plant horse chestnuts in my pots. Sorry they ruined things for you.

    ReplyDelete