Saturday 20 April 2019

Green Grows The . . .




That new-leaf red.



For the first time in a lot of years, we have a north* facing garden.

Same gardener, same plants, better results.  And I'm loving it.

* correction - my garden's actually south facing. Thanks, Joshua Johnson, for showing me my error.





1.  Honey berry (lonicera caerulea).

This is its 3rd summer with us, & it's always been a bit of a runt.  It got lifted & stuck in this pot for the move, but the way it's looking, all dolled up in blossoms, it doesn't seem to miss being planted in the ground.



Perky honey.

Here's a close look at those blooms.


Honey berry bloom.

Little sparks of glee that hopefully'll give me a handful of berries.


2.  Be thar slugs?

Our last garden had permanent boggy spots - even during 2018's drought - making it a slug & snail heaven.  I don't know if that same drought decimated the population in this garden, but take a look at Big Daddy Hosta.


Good enough to eat.

Daddy's copper rings are still in the packet, so every morning I expect to find him & the brunnera devoured during the night.  Not yet, not yet.

This is my first time using copper - anyone have any tales to tell?


3.  Gillenia

In the same bed, Ms Gillenia's auditioning for a horror movie.


Little scarlet arms reaching out of their grave.

Nothing chomped on her last year, so hopefully she'll remain as unappetising as ever.


4.  Some pests come with you when you move.

A gardener I follow on Twitter swears this stuff keeps her family cats out of her plants.


And cat's enemy.

You can see how effective it was in my garden.


Under dog construction.

From what I can tell, the cat only visits a tiny corner behind the metal fox.  The carnage is from a certain canine trying to get to that little doggy delectable.  This bed's surrounded with obstacles that keep our geriatric dog out, but not Mlle DoodleFace.


5.  Living the fantasy.

The water lilies have arrived & with them, my ambition to tart up the dog's pool.


Aliens in a ziplock baggy.

They got planted a couple of days ago, & DoodleFace doesn't seem to know they exist.  Fingers crossed.


6.  Bugle buds.

Last year, my single bugle weed didn't make it out of the planter.  Well, you know how that stuff likes to spread its toes.  Where there was one shy little thang, now there are three behemoths.

Growing in every direction, up & out.

Some of you asked that I keep you posted on how my lasagna no-dig beds worked out.  Everything in this week's Six that's not in a pot (or dog pond), is in a lasagna.  And in the bugle weed's case, a lasagna not yet finished.  The trick is making it deep enough.  And maybe, having a north facing garden.



For the edification of Jim Stephens.
How did I not see this tag,
all these long weeks?




So there's my Six on Saturday.  Be sure to visit our Hammock Hero who's got some tulip heaven going on in his patch.  There's also links in his comment section to other SoSers from all over God's green earth.  Don't miss it!

Thanks for stopping by.



9 comments:

  1. Very nice hosta leaf that unfolds. Great shot!
    What is the size of your pond? and what will be the colors of the water lilies? I'm looking forward to seeing them in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been anti-hosta until I met Big Daddy. He's gorgeous. Let's hope I can keep him from being eaten. My pond is a dog paddling pool, about 6' in diameter & just deep enough for waterlilies - I got ones that need the least depth. One of them is pink & the other more peach. Hope they work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog paddling pool.... I hope the water lilies will grow quickly to cover the pond and not give your dog a desire for refreshment!

      Delete
  3. I love it. Six short stories about things happening in your garden as distinct from six descriptions of things in your garden. And I get to see my name at the end of the credits. I’m all aglow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as always, you were right in identifying a plant, so you deserved the credit. I still can't get over why I'd buy another cotinus & especially that one, which isn't one I'm particularly giddy over. Forever a mystery, so onward & upward w/more goofy gardening for me.

      Delete
  4. The best hosta time ever! Yours looks amazing. We must hold onto this moment. Looking foward to seeing the water lilies in action. I've had some quite good results with the copper rings in the past. They do get a bit verdigris (not sure that is how you spell it) after a while and don't seem as effective. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone suggested using WD40 on them, but I wondered what that did to the soil. For the moment, I'm enjoying the grand unfurling.

      Delete
  5. My hostas remain unmunched. So far. Vigilance required. And organic pellets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had much luck w/pellets, mostly because the vigilance proportions are weak.

      Delete