Saturday 13 April 2019

Jasmine for Six on Saturday




Have I told you about my favourite cherry tree? No?


No sensible person buys plants a few months before moving, but that's what I did this past autumn.  Those end-of-season sales, they make me giddy.

In addition to the weigela-labelled stick mentioned last week, I also bought a coupla jasmine (& maybe a few other things).

I'd never had odoriferous jasmine before!




1.  The bed's ready.

The jasmine were a stunning burgundy when they arrived, perfect for the wisteria trellis in our new garden.  Though the wisteria itself is still too young to bloom, the contrasting foliage would look great together, plus all those jasmine scented ingresses & egresses through the back gate.


Wisteria trellis at the ready.


2.  I thought there were only two . . .

Somewhere between old garden & new, though, the pair of jasmine turned into 3 pots of woody plants with dark red elliptic leaves.  Both my memory & my receipts said there should be two.

Was there cuckoo in the mix?



Clematis & cuckoo.

In the end, the alleged jasmine in a slightly wider pot got planted with a rogue clematis at the back door, the expectation being that a jasmine scented patio would follow.


3. Jasmine Red Leaf.

Then the wisteria jasmine started looking not-so-great.


After planting

Death didn't seem imminent, so perhaps research could prevent a jasmine murder.  Or two.


4. First bloom.

At least the clematis jasmine had buds.  But when the first one opened . . .


Cuckoo in the nest.

That is no jasmine.


5.  The tag.

It looked like a magenta witch hazel blossom.  Which, come to think of it, was exactly my thought on the loropetalum tag photo.


Cuckoo ID.

And that tag was actually attached to . . .


6.  Another end-of-season sale stick.

. . . sitting on the stump to remind me to check it for signs of life.  Of which, so far, there have been none.


Not a loropetalum.


How it got the loropetalum tag on it, or even what this stick really is - anybody's guess.


Turning green.


And, of course, now I know that these particular jasmines are burgundy only in the winter.  Plant murder avoided.



Out w/daffs, in w/tulips.








So now that my place as most well informed SoSer is confirmed, tarry on over to Big Boss Man's blog for his Six & links in his comment section to other Six on Saturday blogs from around the world.

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. The Jasmine Mystery! I love it.
    I love my star jasmine and wish you many scented evenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to it! Let's hope there's nothing else I need to know in order to get there.

      Delete
  2. I confess I am still a little confused by what happened to which jasmine, but your new garden is looking good! May you enjoy your jasmine there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Essentially, despite my ignorance, everything grew the way it was supposed to & we plan on living happily ever after.

      Delete
  3. This set around the trellis is charming. I hope you will enjoy it soon! My jasmine leaves look like these right now because they have been cold this winter. The new ones will be green normally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fred. This jasmine yoke promises to be a plant to enjoy all year.

      Delete
  4. My jasmine, trachelospermum, looks like this in the winter, with red leaves. I have a loropetalum in my six this week too, and I didn’t know until now that it’s a type of witch hazel, which shows I’m not a well- informed gardener! My has struggled, but yours will do well in your climate, I’m sure. Your trellis area is looking very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Jane, I didn't make the witch hazel connection until you said it! Despite seeing how much the blossoms resemble each other. I'm such a seat-of-the-pants gardener! Anyway, thanks for the interest in the trellis garden. It's only partially done, so hopefully will look a bit more tidy later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking fab, if a little confused identity-wise! Do you have that wisteria in a pot to take with you whereby you inevitably move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. It's the dark brown pot next to the elephant. Why anyone would buy a wisteria w/my life style . . .

      Delete
  7. Taking up the challenge of being anybody and having a guess at your not a Lorapetalum stick I'm going with Cotinus, the smoke bush. You can train Wisteria as a standard, like a small weeping tree. Might be easier if a future move is inevitable than a trellis full.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got the idea of growing my wisteria in a pot from seeing one grown as you describe in a large planter. Because mine is too young to bloom, I let it grow crazy for the foliage, then trim it back every year. I love cotinus, but since I already have one, can't imagine . . . no, I get up to all sorts that makes no sense. If it lives, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete