Friday 2 August 2019

Blooms, Doodle, Pukkin.



Was it only a fortnight ago, we celebrated a new doctorate in monsters?  Seems ages.

Maybe cuz last week, it was all hands on deck saving plants from hellfire temps.  This week, we've a sick old dog, Mr BigNose.  Nothing life threatening but he gets us up several times during the night.

Still the garden grows.  The peas have finally failed.  The pumpkins are charging up the wall & across the lawn.  The water lilies have bloomed & bloomed again.

Then there's the alien life form that originally presented itself as a sunflower.


1.  Medusa.

This featured a few weeks ago when it still looked like a sunflower.  Since then, it's sprouted a headdress.


View from the back.


And a shot with Mlle DoodleFace to show how huge those leaves are!


Medusa's sister (to the right) is taller but hasn't started blooming yet.


2.  Calendula

These were part of an edible flower kit given to me for Christmas.  The kit also included nasturtium, dianthus, viola, corn flower (which featured a few weeks ago) & something else I can't remember that didn't germinate.


I threw the calendula seeds into a shallow grave on a bare patch & left them alone.  Here they are, blazing away, a few bits of verbena petals accenting their hair.


3.  Free petunias.

I've never cared for petunias but when these came as a free gift with a plant order, I dutifully planted them, fought off S&S hooligans, watered them on 35C days.


It was touch & go with the S&S brigade, but now the petunias're blooming their socks off.


Look at that sweet little face.  What's not to like?  No accounting for some people's taste.


4.  Begonia.

When I was a child, I considered begonias to be old lady flowers, like roses & coleus.


Now that I'm an old lady, I think they & all their old lady sisters are quite fine.


5.  Neon glad.

I got no new glads this year, but don't remember this from last year.  You'd think with a face like that, it'd be unforgettable.  I quite like it.


It showed up in the pot of the Black Swan beech in the right of the photo.  The Black Swan was given to me as a birthday pressie a few years ago, arriving at about 6' tall.  It lost 10-12" annually during its first 3 winters but has now settled down, content to be short & wide, like me.


6.  Pukkin.

The Halloween traditionalists were scandalised when I decided to grow white pumpkins this year & only calmed down after assurances that there were the usual orange ones planted as well.


I'm a bit concerned to have 2 of these darlins so close together, but we'll cope.  They're the most beautiful creamy yellow at the moment.  The traditionalists might just come around to my way of thinking about these beauties.





And there's my Six for the week.

Make sure you drop by The Propagator who hosts all us #SixOnSaturday bloggers in his comment section.

Thanks for dropping by.  Hope to see you again real soon.




18 comments:

  1. Wow those sunflowers are on steroids. Most of mine were blown down by winds this week. I spent yesterday rescuing the blooms for a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Those sunflowers are just amazing! My Calendulas are just starting to bloom now, and they certainly provide a bright splash of colour in the garden. Your one is a lovely double.I'm with you on the old lady flowers..... but not the Glad! It is stunning but I find them too scraggly in the garden.The white pumpkins are interesting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calendula have such a wide variety of colours, but I find they get leggy as the summer goes on. Chop! Chop! Chop! I'm not sure how glads get scraggly - do you mean the flower spikes? It's so interesting how we choose which plants are worth the effort & which aren't. Makes for variety, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Ah poor Mr BigNose, I bet the hot weather upset him too. I'm not fond of petunias either, but yours look nice, I don't like touching them, they are a bit icky. And I feel exactly the same about begonias, love them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be glad to hear Mr BigNose is on the road to recovery, altho, because he's a bit of a Methulesah, that road's always a long one. And being like a curious child, I now have to run out & touch the petunies.

      Delete
  4. I'm being slightly distracted from the splendour of your sunflowers, gladiolus and all by the background picture of a very sad pea. Is it a subliminal thing to make the chosen six look even better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I were so clever, Jim! The truth is, that sad pea was my autumn background from last year. Not sure where winter, spring & summer've gone to.

      Delete
  5. These sunflowers are smaller than mine but super pretty! This week I'm voting for calendula and petunia harlequin: I love both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone loves petunias - don't know why I don't. The calendula got chucked into a vacant spot in the garden & only now do I realise they're in a purple bed, except for the petunia, so a big bright spot of colour which looks nice in that purple sea.

      Delete
  6. Hmm. I'll have to try nibbling a cornflower later. The calendula looks fantastic. I think you may have converted me to petunias. Begonia flowers are lovely but for some reason I don't like the leaves - I don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding your dislike of begonia leaves, for me that's part of their charm. But as with my dislike of the petunias, it's really odd, what we don't like. Tell me what you think of nibbling the cornflower. I've not done that as yet, & they were planted right outside the kitchen so I could.

      Delete
    2. I warily partook of a cornflower petal at the weekend and It reminded me of apple skin!

      Delete
    3. Once you did it, I had to as well & wow, it does have an apple-y taste! Wonder if that could be used for something other'n a garnish? Lovely.

      Delete
  7. Like the cookout is that Gladioli very neon. Also you must be proud of those sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the 'cookout' is but yes, that glad is garish! But I do love it. The sunflowers were planted by the birds, so I can take no credit, but I think they're pretty fine.

      Delete
  8. Great selection. I think you'll have no trouble keeping the birds fed with all those sunflower seeds. Like the white anemone that you've snuck in at the end too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I plan on stealing a few seeds for myself, hoping for big things next year.

      Delete