Friday 19 June 2020

Developments





<= <= <= Mlle DoodleFace, the reason we have a #1 & #2 this week.












1.  Doodle Pool, Part I.

The pool is essential kit for Mlle DoodleFace, but it's not the most attractive thing you can have in the garden.  Last year, I decided to tart it up with water plants.  Bit of a crazy idea, even by my standards, but it's turned out well.

This is Season 2, The Doodle Pool.


The split bamboo has always been in it as a life raft for passing wildlife.


I'd seen a photo of Creeping Jenny in a floating planter, the fronds spreading on top of the water.  Mine've always sunk, but this year, they're invading the bullrushes to the right.


2.  Doodle Pool, Part II.

Water lily on the left.


Water lily on the right.


Both lilies've produced more leaves & flowers this year, so must be happy.


3.  Honey garlic.

The honey garlic's formed turrets of seed heads.


The flowers are striking but the seed heads are out of a fairy tale.


4.  Pretty weed.

These've self seeded all over my garden, so I let one show its stuff.


I quite like it, although it seems like something that could soon take over.


Does anyone know what it is?


5.  Tale of 2 roses.

I missed pruning some new growth from the (presumably) dog rose rootstock of our yellow rose.


The dog rose stems & foliage are very different, so not sure how I missed it . . .


. . . but it does create an interesting look.


6.  Visitor.

Our 2nd summer here, I've found our first toad, this one being in the open front garden.  Where it came from is hard to say, as there isn't open water nearby.  Maybe someone raised tadpoles then released them.


As the back garden is walled in, I'd thought of collecting tadpoles for the Doodle Pool, but was concerned about being over run by inbred toads.  Any thoughts?


And with that image, I leave you for this week.  Thanks for stopping by.


8 comments:

  1. I don't have a split bamboo in my pond, so I put a small log of willow, split too. It has the same effect except that obviously it took root in water 😂. Pretty water lilies and this toad is so cute 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute toad. I'd like the odd toad or two to help out with the slugs. The water lily is very pretty. Mine hasn't flowered yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toad could use some fattening up, & we've got the slug buffet for him.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what that weed is but it looks pretty. So jealous you have toads hopefully they keep your slugs in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One toad, Paul, & he's not doing a very good job. Amateur, is my guess.

      Delete
  4. Just love the Doodle Pool! It is an important part of the garden, not only for Doodle Face, as we note the toad! The bamboo raft is a great addition, and the waterlilies are just beautiful. Whatever that weed is, is does have lovely flower spikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right but the Doodle pool is inside a walled garden while the toad was outside. I've not seen any inside the wall & am wobbly about remedying thaqt.

      Delete