Saturday 27 June 2020

End of June


Hard to believe we're nearly halfway through the year, but here we are.


1.  Monthly measure.

The empress tree was 12" when planted on 27 April.


So we're averaging 6"/ month.


2.  Bee stalking.

Since I first noticed bees excavating my pots, I've been stalking them for videos.


This week, I finally caught one carrying its bit of leaf to the hole.


3.  Cornflower.

The lack of rain during No Mow May kept the mower in the shed until this week.  Our singular gem from all that not-mowing, one trampled cornflower.


This self seeded from last year's edible flower box, which we didn't repeat this year.  I stuck a plant support around it for protection, gave it extra water.


It's still a bit of a shorty, but it does look happier. 


4.  Poor canna.

Something less successful are my canna lilies.  As an experiment, I left them in the ground over winter, heavily mulched.


They've all struggled with my abuse only to become S&S snacks despite my best garlic spray.  This is the smallest at only a few inches, although I'm happy to see it, having assumed it to be dead.

This autumn, all the survivors'll get lifted & lovingly cossetted over the winter.


5.  Pretty weed surprise.

Last week, I featured a self seeder that'd captured my heart.  This week, there was a little pink surprise at its base.


Last year, this trough contained rain lilies, which I thought I'd moved to the flower beds.


Missed one!  This pairing is quite nice, actually.


6.  Jasmine in waiting.


That's it for this week.  Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. My star jasmine is in full bloom these days and you will soon enjoy yours. You're out of luck with canna lilies... I have a better result with those in pots than those in the ground. Maybe less watered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I thought our mild winters wouldn't hurt the bulbs, but they've been so wet, the canna are not the only ones damaged.

      Delete
  2. Yay for the rain lily and the corn flower! The jasmine is out here and doing its wafty fragrance thing. Love the bee footage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My jasmine does seem to be behind the rest of the world's!

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with bee stalking. I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video of the bee is just amazing!! Very interesting indeed! I also love the combination of the rain lily with the self-seeder. The growth rate of the Empress tree is really good.I will go and look it up as I have not come across it before. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The folklore connected w/the Empress Tree is very good, too.

      Delete
  5. I had a good read of the folklore and I realised that I had read about this tree before. Very interesting. I wondered what their backup plan might be if the planted tree was inadvertently destroyed by nature before it can be used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wondered that too, or if they took it as a definitive omen.

      Delete