Saturday 4 July 2020

Onward, July!



1.  Chocolate Daisy.

Both the flower & scent of this plant  are reason enough to grow it, not to mention its sage coloured foliage.


And wouldn't you know, it's got a lovely seed head as well. 


2.   Rhodochiton Vine.

First year in our garden, & I didn't think the purply pink bells could delight me more.



Until they did this.


Rhodochiton's a tough little vine that's survived the high winds & drought.  Best of all, the slugs aren't a bit interested in it.


3.  O, Veronica.

I don't think Veronica did this last year, so'm not sure why she'd doing it now.



A yellow achillea hangs 12" or more above it, but surely doesn't warrant such an extreme recoil.  Interpretive dance, maybe.


4.  Russian sage.

Just starting to flower.  



The particular green of its foliage . . .



. . . sets off well, the pink dianthus next to it.


5.  Verbena hastata.

The v. hastata's coming into bloom.


All grown from seed off the original plant that didn't survive our wet winter.  


Any suggestions about getting keeping it alive this year?


6.  Wild plum.

Usually, the wildlife's stripped off all the plums at this stage of the summer.


This lone plum's size surprises me.  

That's it for this week.  Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. You've got such an eye for plant detail Lora. I love the dianthus/russian sage combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That combo was totally accidental, but grabs my eye every time I walk by. I may do something more purposeful when it's time to repot the sage.

      Delete
  2. Wow to the Rhodochiton Vine. The one on the right looks like a bashful mermaid hiding under a jelly fish - I don't really know why. I thought my Verbena hastata had died but I found either a seedling or the orginal after buying a new plant. I don't know whether to try and take some cuttings of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see the mermaid, but what she'd doing under a jellyfish, perhaps best not to ask. I plan to take cuttings of my verbena altho it does reseed very easily, so will collect seeds as well.

      Delete
  3. Superb and unusual Rhodochiton! I love these flowers ...
    The flowers seem long but I guess it is a false interpretation due to the photograph. My Russian sage has been ahead of yours for a week. Special smell we like ...or hate !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhodochiton flowers can be compared to the chicken wire openings in the photo. They aren't large, but big enough to appreciate. I love the sage smell, too!

      Delete
  4. Mmm ... the chocolate daisy does sound lovely. Is its perfume similar to that of chocolate, or is it a different? I think I would have too many chocolate cravings if I have any of those daisies in the garden. What a pretty pink the Rhodochiton vine flower is! It looks as if it is a delicate vine, or is it rampant? Both plants mentioned are new to me. Love the colour combination of the silvery foliage and the Dianthus. They work well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daisies do have a chocolate smell but a stronger honey smell, so a real confection aroma to them. Mine are taking a coupla seasons to get to their full 18", so you have to bend over to smell them. The rhodochiton is an annual but fast growing & seems pretty tough. Sarah Raven plants hers w/black eyed susan vines, which I tried this year, but the Susans can't seem to survive my garden. Maybe combined w/a nice clematis next year.

      Delete
  5. I'm growing the Rhodochiton with the Black Eyed Susan courtesy of SR this year, they are interesting flowers. I wonder if I can overwinter them indoors. For some reason I have failed to see any comment from you on Jon's posts lately (but then I haven't had much time on the computer to check through all the comments - there are rather a lot now), but I look out for you as I love your sense of humour! Hope all is well in your part of the country xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Envious of your black eyed susan vine surviving. I have one small one which I've kept under a plastic bottle in hopes of getting it big enough to thwart the S&S. If your vines are in pots, perhaps it's worth cutting them back & seeing if they survive winter. Would be interesting to know.

      Delete